Perfect Pitch

Had a gf with perfect pitch, and it made listening to music with her...interesting at best. Forget anything being "out of tune". If a song she knew was ever transposed, it messed with her head. If an instrument wasn't tuned to A 440, it was like fingernails on a chalkboard. Plus, to hear music first through the filter of "what note is that?" seems like kind of a drag.

That being said, I was still jealous of her!

even though if i had a choice i would take it...it seems like it would stress me out and make me think to hard about everything i listened to and not really listen to the music..but then again i would love to be able to figure out every song ive ever heard on my own

westknife said:
nope, that's called relative pitch. perfect pitch is either innate or learned at a very young developmental age

true, since its only based off a reference pitch. but, what if that person were to memorize it, along with all 10 other pitches? i suppose that the difference then would be whether or not its a conscious process. from the personal accounts that i have heard, its like recognizing a color. with enough work though, i think that almost anyone could do it. i have an E somewhat memorized. "somewhat" because i don't have a tuner, and never have. the only time that i tune to an actual E is when i jam with an instrument that can't be tuned on spot, or when i want to play with recorded music. so, i think that someone who wants perfect pitch needs to listen to only music that is tuned exactly to a western scale....and is never off.

i doubt that someone who has only heard a gamelan orchestra music from several gamelan orchestras for their entire life has perfect pitch. but, i suppose that a guru who only listens to his gamelan orchestra could develope perfect pitch, but only for his particular orchestra.

"Absolute pitch, however, may be genetic, possibly an autosomal dominant genetic trait,[4][5] though it "might be nothing more than a general human capacity whose expression is strongly biased by the level and type of exposure to music that people experience in a given culture."

Lol, why 9? Do you mean seperating instruments in an orchestra, even if they're playing the same notes, or 9 different notes playing at once? A 9 note chord wouldnt be too pleasant.

The tuning thing does bother me to a certain extent- if I let it, it bothers me a lot, but you have to get used to hearing instruments not in tune..

@ thread starter...if you want to learn perfect pitch, i don't think you need one of those things. just sit down with a piano, or buy one of those tuning fork/harmonica-like things, and practice. i see no reason why its not possible to learn it right now. if it is something innate and you have it, you can surely bring it out.

I have the course. It is not about hearing pitch at all. It is all about tone color. Not red and blue but how that note affects your whole sensory array.
It starts out with two notes. you learn how the colors are different between those two then you add a third and so on. You need to use the guitar if you are a guitar player. Piano if you are a piano player or vocalist. A 440 is a must though. You have to be in tune on your instrument.

Hmm, I don't know about the whole 'you need to learn it at an early age' business, seems kind of silly. I've got a relative pitch course, though I haven't done a great deal of it yet. Apparently once you've got relative pitch then being able to obtain perfect pitch is just like the next step or whatever, regardless of age. I don't know though.

relative pitch is really not very hard to learn at all, so you might want to get started there

practice with the do ra mi fa so la ti do crap

The Perfect Pitch course wants you to not use Relative pitch at first.
You should try to learn both at the same time. Don't depend on your relative pitch to acquire perfect pitch. It will take you forever to conquer.
Music should be fun.. But the 'fun' is in the Challenge you put on yourself.
Chevy Chase has perfect pitch. But he had it all his life.