personal revelations and a question about Waves SSL4000 collection...

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
So I finally took the time to start from scratch with a mix and tried my idea (although not an original one) to insert the SSL E channel onto every track of my mix.

My first impression is WOW!!!!

I got this plugin bundle around the holiday price drop, getting it for around 375 or so, can't remember for sure (native price obv.). I'm not really used to the analog style controls so I've been slowly learning to break myself from the R series style UI's (Rcomp, REQ, etc.) and get to know what/how analog controls work. I've learned a lot and finally decided to take the plunge and wrap my head around channel strips for everything and it has made me learn more in a faster time, and turn out a mix that doesn't make me cringe.

Also, running 40 or so instances of EChannel doesn't do nearly the CPU damage I thought it would on my C2D machine.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just really excited as I feel like I've finally broke through a barrier that has held me captive for too long.

So I'll end with this...I feel like even if the plugin is inserted onto a track but nothing is being manipulated (i.e. no EQ tweaks, no compression, etc.) I still feel like the E Channel plug is changing the sound. Not in a bad way, but it still changes it. It would make sense that the plugin itself would mimic the SSL coloring, but I've not read anything that explicitly says it does. Does anyone know?

P.S. The E Channel combined with the SSL EQ is pretty cool for general subtle EQ tweaks on guitars and bass, with surgical EQ cuts coming from a more robust modern style EQ...I'm sure this is old news to some, but what can I say, I'm a happy camper.:hotjump:

if I'm not mistaken I believe they have the analog button which you can have engaged with no other changes made and it still helps "color" the sound. The button is specifically there for that purpose .. I know someone else had mentioned it here before but good luck finding that thread

yeah, that is on for all the tracks, so even the tracks that aren't seeing any EQ, Comp or gate manipulation (namely guitars), they are getting colored by the plug. Aside from the buss comp analog button, I didn't even think about the analog buttons on the channel strip.

Answers my question, thanks man!

From what I understand, the analog button adds noise at 60Hz, and that is ALL. However, I believe the Waves SSL collection does mimic SSL "coloring" (which are not generally referred to as "colorful" consoles) at all times.

But you can check. Put the SSL on a channel and see if it nulls with the same track without the SSL.

Out of all the mixes I've done one of my best was when I did a live session at college and used SSL channel on every channel.
Personally I really like the analogue style controls without having a graphic display, makes you use your ears more than your eye's.
Just need to find a nice cheap analogue style eq now, as I don't fancy spending £400 on the SSL bundle.

you can find out what it does by duplicating a channel, then turning on the analog button and turning phase reverse on and spectrum analyzer to the master bus to see if it does anything to the sound.

Just tried that, with a whole drum track printed.

This is how the track looks by itself in the master bus

trackalone.jpg

And this is the result of duplicating the track, reverse the phase and enable the SSL E, without touching anything (the Analog mode is ON)

ssleenabled.jpg

tried it on a single guitar track, it doesn't null but the signal level is like -90dbfs, barely audible

so, don't turn the analog button on if you don't want those white noise?

or it still add something else?

ssl e-channel on all over track (without any setting) but analog button is off = don't use any plugin?

so, don't turn the analog button on if you don't want those white noise?

or it still add something else?

ssl e-channel on all over track (without any setting) but analog button is off = don't use any plugin?

we all try to get rid of noise, but fuck analog noise is a part of the sounds and experience, like one tape and vinyl.

Noise is shit. It's unmusical and it's one of the dumbest things that are inserted into analogue models. We spent years trying to get away from the noise floor and now people are trying to re-inject it in a medium that is finally almost noiseless. It's the epitome of retarded.

Anyway I don't know whether it's the channel or the bus comp but the guys on GS did a few tests here and they found that on one of them the 'analog' button only added the noise. The Waves plug-ins are fairly clean. Even if you insert them across every channel the effect is benign. For the full effect try using Alex B's CLC ILC program on each track, and then running it into the Waves SSL E-channel. Then you'll be amazed. It's how I've done almost every one of my mixes since the start of the year.

never heard of Alex B's CLC ILC program.

And, I hesitate to make it sound like the E Channel is doing "nothing" on the majority of tracks, that's not true. I added in the little bit about even putting it on the channels that had no EQ or any other processing just to reiterate that I used it on every track. Aside from the rhythm guitar tracks which are bussed to a group and processed there, all the other tracks have a bit of processing through the E Channel.

Regardless of what is going on, it has opened a new door for me. I think Trevoire's comment about using your ears is what it is really all about for me. It's an old adage and quite cliche, but sometimes it's a kick in the pants when you truly realize how deep the meaning goes. Learning the analog controls has indeed "taught" my ears as much as anything. And, I truly don't see a problem with throwing the E Channel on all the tracks even if someone tells me I'm wasting my time (and some CPU processing power). If it makes me mix better, than that's all I need.

Now, I'm heading off to look up this CLC ILC dealio...

For the full effect try using Alex B's CLC ILC program on each track, and then running it into the Waves SSL E-channel. Then you'll be amazed. It's how I've done almost every one of my mixes since the start of the year.

What exactly is the Alex B's CLC ILC? Is that like a plug in or what?

You can see what the "Analog" button is doing by running a signal generator/sine wave through it and into a frequency analyzer. Many analog-modeling plugs will add harmonics to the original signal, and the frequency analyzer will show this - for example, run a 1000Hz signal through the URS Console Strip Pro, and you might see it adding harmonics at 2K, 4K, etc. - different models add different harmonic content.

I'd do this with the SSL Channel but my demo has expired - anyone want to try it out?

You can see what the "Analog" button is doing by running a signal generator/sine wave through it and into a frequency analyzer. Many analog-modeling plugs will add harmonics to the original signal, and the frequency analyzer will show this - for example, run a 1000Hz signal through the URS Console Strip Pro, and you might see it adding harmonics at 2K, 4K, etc. - different models add different harmonic content.

I'd do this with the SSL Channel but my demo has expired - anyone want to try it out?

i can help you, but could you please teach me how to make 1k signal?

i use cubase 5 btw