personal revelations and a question about Waves SSL4000 collection...

just as a comparison, and again my mixes are shit compared to most on here....

Here's kinda where I ended up mix wise before starting from scratch. I put Ozone 4 on the master buss to try and "fix" the mix issues I had, so I have all kinds of crap going on in Ozone to cover up my lack of adequate mixing. At this point I was just fed up and tired of trying to do something I don't have the talent to do.

http://geetarguy.tripod.com/predatorymix8.mp3

And then here is where I am at now with starting over with the SSL E channel on all my tracks. For the sake of getting volume, this mix has nothing but Ozone 4's limiter on it. No additional EQ, excitation, widening, MB comp, or anything from the plug. Just the limiter with the threshold pulled down to get this loudness (set on Intelligent II setting, "very fast"). Also, this mix has nothing on most of the tracks except for the EChannel. Before, my snare track had comp, EQ, limiter, etc. The E Channel gave me what I wanted in one plug, nothing else needed. Same for the vocals, where I had the Modern Deathcore (Distressor emu), comp, EQ, etc., just the E Channel gave me what I wanted. I was able to cut down probably 15 plugins doing different things and just switched to the E Channel and used my ears. I'll be adding more texture/effects as the mix progresses, but for now this is where I sit:

http://geetarguy.tripod.com/predatorymix13.mp3

Granted it may not be a huge difference to you guys, but to me it means the world. To know that the mix was more in line with what I wanted and just putting a limiter on the master to get volume was BY FAR a lot less work and headaches than trying to fix the mess I made with Ozone (which was a bad idea to begin with). To me this mix sounds punchier and more in your face without having to do so much processing on everything. *shrug*

Just tried the same test, with the analog button OFF and the results are exactly the same. So, the 'magic' comes from the plugin itself, not the Analog button.

When the analog button is ON and nothing is playing, i got this, just noise

analogonly.jpg