Persuader (was "Since we're talking about Blind Guardian, Persuader anyone?")

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
Apparently the UM server decided to eat the body of my post for my "Since we're talking about Blind Guardian, Persuader anyone?" thread. Additionally, it won't let me delete the empty thread.

I'm don't know if any of you have heard Persuader's "Evolution Purgatory", but if your a fan of Blind Guardian's sound, it's worth checking out. Some BG fans may be turned off by it, as Persuader is to Blind Guardian, what Wolf is to Maiden and what Primal Fear is to Judas Priest. With the exception of being a bit thrashier, Persuader has BG's sound down to a tee, vocals and all. Although, truth be told, I like the vocalist from Persuader better than Hansi. The songs on this disc are real strong, and are worth checking out.

Zod

I have a CD-R courtesy of Evil C. I heard it once and def heard the BG similarities, but you know, once is not enough. I'll check it again.

What's your problem with Hansi? He is a god among insects. :kickass:

I remember 4/5 years ago on my first magazine sampler they had taht track called 'Heart and Steel' (not sure) . Can't remember what kind of speed/heavy/power/metal was this like

JayKeeley said:
What's your problem with Hansi? He is a god among insects. :kickass:
No problem. I think he's a solid vocalist, with a very original voice. He just doesn't blow my skirt up, like he does for so many others. To my ear, he just doesn't have a lot of range. If I made a list of my Top 25 Power/Prog vocalist, he wouldn't make it.

Zod

General Zod said:
No problem. I think he's a solid vocalist, with a very original voice. He just doesn't blow my skirt up, like he does for so many others. To my ear, he just doesn't have a lot of range. If I made a list of my Top 25 Power/Prog vocalist, he wouldn't make it.

Zod

I like his style just because he's so unique. You can pick him out the crowd. Hansi has this unique ability of bringing a song alive. I'll give you two examples: his cameos on "Out of Control" and "Winds of Destination". Man, I hear Hansi next to Sammet and Fulaschi and I think YES! It's such a good contrast to the otherwise typical style.

The problem with most power/prog vocalists is that they intentionally try to sing like Bruce, Tate, or [insert Rainbow vocalists Dio, Turner, Bonnet, etc].

But hey, I'm nitpicking since I can appreciate it all. Ignore me. Even after all the letdowns, I'm still interested to hear the new Malmsteen. :p

I heard one of their songs ages back. It was good but didn't particularly stand out to me. Something about the name irks me too :erk:

JayKeeley said:
I like his style just because he's so unique. You can pick him out the crowd. Hansi has this unique ability of bringing a song alive. I'll give you two examples: his cameos on "Out of Control" and "Winds of Destination". Man, I hear Hansi next to Sammet and Fulaschi and I think YES! It's such a good contrast to the otherwise typical style.
It's funny you say that. I love listening to him against other vocalists. I've actually said exactly this thing to my wife when listening to both of these songs.

JayKeeley said:
The problem with most power/prog vocalists is that they intentionally try to sing like Bruce, Tate, or [insert Rainbow vocalists Dio, Turner, Bonnet, etc].
I can see that as a valid complaint. I'd say Barlow is my favorite vocalist of recent vintage. I think his power, passion and range are unmatched. It's a real shame he's left Metal.

Zod

Matt Barlow? He sounded like he could barely speak English, let alone sing it. If you find 'Allo 'Allo powerful and passionate though, I guess it's cool...

Ayeka's thinking of this fellow:

gary-barlow-open-road.jpg

I must admit, I used to get them confused :loco:

General Zod said:
I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. Could barely speak English? We're talking about the same guy, right?

Reread my post, specifically the sounded like part. That guy's got an accent thicker than two short planks.

Once again, I'm confused. o_O

Zod

If you've never seen 'Allo 'Allo then you won't get it :loco: silly Yanks! Basically it's a naff British sitcom about French resistance in Nazi Germany (I'm pretty sure) and everyone speaks with thick comical French accents. Which sound just like Matt Barlow from Iced Earth.
Hence I find it a bit silly when people use words like 'powerful' and 'emotional' to describe it, because I'm always expecting him to burst out with "I have good nose" at any second :loco: Emotional my arse...

Ayeka said:
Reread my post, specifically the sounded like part. That guy's got an accent thicker than two short planks.
He's got an accent? That's news to me.

Ayeka said:
If you've never seen 'Allo 'Allo then you won't get it :loco: silly Yanks! Basically it's a naff British sitcom about French resistance in Nazi Germany (I'm pretty sure) and everyone speaks with thick comical French accents.
Can't say I've seen it. But if I come across it on BBC America I'll make it a point to check it out?

Ayeka said:
Which sound just like Matt Barlow from Iced Earth.
Matthew Barlow sounds French?

Ayeka said:
Hence I find it a bit silly when people use words like 'powerful' and 'emotional' to describe it, because I'm always expecting him to burst out with "I have good nose" at any second :loco: Emotional my arse...
Different strokes for different folks. I think how a singer's voice resonates with an individual is a very personal thing. People who like the same genres of music, often have drastically different takes on a given vocalist. For instance, I take it from your sig file, you're a big Blaze fan. I've never actually heard any of the stuff he recorded with Maiden, but on his solo works, he sounds monotone and one dimensional. He's not bad, just not overly interesting. Maybe the stuff he did with Maiden was more dynamic?

Zod

Blaze solo stuff (vocals) >>>>>>>>>>> Blaze (with Maiden)

Plus Ayeka, you are nuts man. Matt Barlow is a corn fed sceptic all the way. Where are you picking up an accent? In the songs or in his inbetween live banter?

I mean, Papa Josh calling him a Paul Stanley clone is one thing, but saying the dude sounds like a frog is just eeeeirwrds!

General Zod said:
Can't say I've seen it. But if I come across it on BBC America I'll make it a point to check it out?

Errrrm...maybe just to satisfy your curiosity. It's very big on the bum/boobies/girly-boy jokes, maybe I need to watch it more but I got tired of it a bit quickly :loco: and once you've heard "I have good nose" once you've heard it a thousand times.

Matthew Barlow sounds French?

Fuck yeah. And not just French, I mean like French as in wearing a beret and stripy top while riding a bike laden with garlic! I mean...it's on the fucking CD, that's Pepe Le Peu on the microphone! :loco:

Different strokes for different folks. I think how a singer's voice resonates with an individual is a very personal thing. People who like the same genres of music, often have drastically different takes on a given vocalist. For instance, I take it from your sig file, you're a big Blaze fan. I've never actually heard any of the stuff he recorded with Maiden, but on his solo works, he sounds monotone and one dimensional. He's not bad, just not overly interesting. Maybe the stuff he did with Maiden was more dynamic?

Zod

Just one of those things, eh? Personally, I like Blaze for his booming low-end trademark voice, I like the way he's distinct and got power behind it. But this is besides the point. What is the point is that Matt Barlow sounds silly! :loco:

btw, I wouldn't say his Maiden stuff was more dymanic. But his voice helps make The X Factor the atmospheric monster it is -_-