Pete, tell me all about the Framus Cobra!

Mark_Palangio

On The Fields Of Life
Jul 12, 2005
Greensburg, PA
How would you say it compares to a 5150 and an Engl Powerball? I just got a Powerball, and it's pretty cool, but I know it won't cut live, that's the only worry I have with it. Any info or help you can offer would be much appreciated! :headbang:

All I have to say is that I the Cobra DESTROYS! In live situations it cuts through awesome. It has serious thick deep mid tone as to where the 5150 and powerball are thinner more strile and gets lost in the mix. The Cobra is an amp made to be played loud, thats where its true tone lies...when you open it up. Hope that helps!

ihave27frets said:
All I have to say is that I the Cobra DESTROYS! In live situations it cuts through awesome. It has serious thick deep mid tone as to where the 5150 and powerball are thinner more strile and gets lost in the mix. The Cobra is an amp made to be played loud, thats where its true tone lies...when you open it up. Hope that helps!

Thanks man, that does help for sure. I know you probably never play the Cobra at low or moderate volumes, but how does it sound when it isn't cranked? Is it possible to EQ it to sound similar to the Powerball, but actually have it still cut?

another question about the cobra even tho this thread has probably dfied months ago. Does the metal on the front affect the sound at all? ive never seen any cabinets besides framus with metal on the front instead of cloth.

Does the amp sound better that way in your opinion or is it just for cosmetics?

Psilocybin said:
another question about the cobra even tho this thread has probably dfied months ago. Does the metal on the front affect the sound at all? ive never seen any cabinets besides framus with metal on the front instead of cloth.

Does the amp sound better that way in your opinion or is it just for cosmetics?

The metal on the amp head has no effect on the sound at all, the metal on the Cobra 4x12 cabinet though, will affect the sound, yes.