Phantom Power w/ Actives on Profire610

Element77

Sep 12, 2006
Yo,

I have a Profire610 (Which I like/hate) and an ESP with Blackouts. Is there any benefit or drawback to having phantom power running with the actives? It seems to make no difference but I'm not used to this interface.

I have the input knob to zero, and still get a decent level either way. But if I turn the knob an eighth of an inch, I'm clipping. Either way Phantom on or off.

...phantom power is not meant for guitar pickups, even if you managed to get the 48v to the pickup, the maximum voltage for both EMG and Blackouts are 27v. If you are using the instrument in on your interface than you are not getting 48v at all. The only way that would be possible is if you used a balanced XLR to TRS cable and you wired the input jack of your guitar to accept the incoming signal, then you would still need to add a voltage divider to the setup so that you are in an acceptable range so you don't fry your pickups.

TL;DR It doesn't work and if it did, it would fry your shit, don't do it.

Wait.... what? I'm stumped. I'm talking about plugging into one of the 2 inputs on the front, and hitting the phantom power button...

Phantom power is for microphones and direct boxes, not guitars. Phantom power can't travel down an unbalanced TS (instrument) cable, just balanced (TRS)