Phase issue on snare

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Happy Metal Year to ya'll guys!

For a quite long time now, I try each time I record drums to avoid phase issue on snare between the top and the bottom mic but it seems I don't know how to get a proper snare recording so I definitely need some help.

I know - if I'm not wrong - that it's about distance of the mics but have you some tricks that work every time? Specific mic position?

How are you recording it now?

General practice is just to put the close mics where they sound best and reverse the polarity of one of the mics. The phase relationship will never be perfect so don't stress too much about it.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/f-o-h/768658-making-real-snare-sound-great-tutorial.html

What he does is a pretty sound method imo. Also note what Jeff talks about with moving a track a few milliseconds ahead and using it as a trigger to open the gate. Making a 100% real snare sound badass is tough biz, I wouldnt be discouraged if your not pulling off Sneap results immediately. I always end up using a sample for the bulk of my snare, no shame in it, sometimes I make a sample of the snare im tracking and blend that in with the original too.

Thanks! Usually I'm in a 100% 'out-of-phase' situation with snare so it's easy to fix but when it's not 100% it's a bit more tricky for me. So I align the bottom track on the top one manually... and I'm never sure to be perfectly in phase.

What about Waves InPhase plugin? I saw the videos and it looks like a great tool. Would be great to get some feedback from users tho.