Phase Tricks

Feb 8, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
Ok, i'm sure most people here know about the vocal removal trick with phase inversion. If not this is how you do it:

Get any stereo file and pan the left and right channel to the dead center, flip the phase of one of sides and you remove anything that was panned center, which usually removes most of the vocals.

I'm trying to figure out something else now. What if you want to remove everything that is not in the center? Anyone have a clue how to do this?

I am using fl studio 9 and with the stereo shaper, what you do is turn down the volume on both mid channels to about 9db and the "left into right" and "right into left" channels you can come up with a result like this. it's okay but if you just want to insert your voice into the track it should be no problem. here's my example of it: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2649123/dreamsnovox.mp3. Usually I boost at 100hz a little to bring out the bass guitar and add a drum engine like steven slate because while taking out the center of the mix the snare and drum is taken out almost always. And any gang vocals or background singers will always still appear unless you turn one of the side channels down which will result in a very irregular panning and you would have to adjust the panning of the actual channel to make things even. I usually don't see it as an issue though, I only make these for friends that want something to practice their vocals for and don't want to hear the singers voice in the song.

edit: if you try to remove alot of side stuff it results in a catastrophic sounding wav foul that sounds like AM radio at night.

wiki or google the MS-matrix (middle - side - matrix).... I dont think it is that easily possible to delete something from the side channel, because in all that tools you have the Middle (mono) channel and the side-channel (the side channel includes all the stereo information)

this is the trick behind every stereo-widening tool

I am using fl studio 9 and with the stereo shaper, what you do is turn down the volume on both mid channels to about 9db and the "left into right" and "right into left" channels you can come up with a result like this. it's okay but if you just want to insert your voice into the track it should be no problem. here's my example of it: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2649123/dreamsnovox.mp3. Usually I boost at 100hz a little to bring out the bass guitar and add a drum engine like steven slate because while taking out the center of the mix the snare and drum is taken out almost always. And any gang vocals or background singers will always still appear unless you turn one of the side channels down which will result in a very irregular panning and you would have to adjust the panning of the actual channel to make things even. I usually don't see it as an issue though, I only make these for friends that want something to practice their vocals for and don't want to hear the singers voice in the song.

edit: if you try to remove alot of side stuff it results in a catastrophic sounding wav foul that sounds like AM radio at night.

results are unacceptable

of course this isn't going to sound pretty by any means, but i found it very useful when trying to figure out guitar parts, since vox and most of the drums are cancelled out.

Mackie has a vocal eliminator function on a couple of their mixers.

http://www.mackie.com/products/dfxseries/

Using phase inversion, it
"nulls" sounds that are panned to the exact center of the mix - which covers about 99% of all vocals. Plus it uses an 18dB per octave filter to "notch out" frequencies between 160Hz and 5Khz - the normal range for most male and female signers. So if the singer on the recording is a 900-pound basso profundo or can hit higher notes than a canary (or an artsy producer who
insisted on panning the lead vocal to the extreme left or right) , the DFX•6/DFX•12's Vocal Eliminator won't knock out the whole vocal. But most of the time, the Vocal Eliminator will give you a karaoke-ready soundtrack from a regular pop, country-western or Christian contemporary CD.