Physicist bad?

well it's hard to explain.

It's a cool record, I enjoy it...but it doesn't hook me like all the other Devy material.

it's like a concious effort to combine the melodic sounds od his solo work with the speed, and aggression of SYL.

but it ends up sounding a little forced and contrived to me.

like his heart wasn't all too into it.

the songs don't keep my attention and enthrall me like all his other stuff.

it's still an excellent album, with plenty of killer tunes.

just sub-par for Devy IMO.

It's kind of the odd one out of his solo CDs. I love it, but it's really different, in a lot of ways. The songs are all kind of similar and short too. It's best taken as a whole. I can see why people would rate it lower, but I like it about as much as any other.

yeah,its one of my favorites.Material is in my top five devy songs.

In my opinion, Physicist is one of his best albums, I'd say it even beats Terria, but thats probably because I really like the rough SYL sound. But your right with saying that it kinda falls out of the line of the other Devin solo projects. Nonetheless, Infinity is the worst (but still a good) record.
I dont know exactly if they play the Physicist stuff on SYL concerts only, only thing ive seen was a concert with both the solo and SYL stuff mixed. The Physicist/SYL stuff was played the most time and when i got home to look on mp3.com, i was kinda confused because some songs really didnt sound like what ive seen some hours before. :D

I think I've isolated the problem with Physicist: instead of writing out songs and making them engaging/enthralling, most of the songs' drums, bass, and all of those portions are just set up off of rhythms. It's an album of some decent melodies set over the top of some patterns.

Regardless it's still a good record, but it's hard to listen to after the other stuff.

Also, I was having a conversation with my roommate trying to figure out with Devour and Aftermath just didn't sound right to me, and he said something that really struck home: "Sounds like he spilled some Physicist on it"

The new SYL material [from the live stuff and the demo I've heard] just isn't anywhere near as good as the old stuff. It's much more patternized, less switches in the songs, almost no samples, that kind of thing. Not saying that I won't enjoy the hell out of it, but it's closer to regular metal for me than Devy Metal.

I kind of thought so too with SYL, but it grew on me. A lot. Really, most of the old elements are strongly there, I just didn't notice them for a few listens. Maybe you just have to hear the whole thing to "get it", if the 3 songs they put out don't do it for you.

Physicist is a great work, much better than Infinity. It boggles my mind that people give Physicist a hard time, yet embrace Infinity which has only 2 good songs.

Dreamlord what on earth are you talking about. Infinity is such an incredible album. The song writing is unique and amazing it boggles my mind. Id like to know what the two good songs are in your opinion...

soul driven gets boring at times, but its one of his "release songs" as he said.

but, truth, christeen, bad devil, war, colonial boy, unity, noisy pink bubbles....all amazing.

Originally posted by Demonspell
Any album that has Kingdom and Planet Rain on it cannot be below average...

Couldn't have said it better myself. Physicist is my second favorite album (behind OM), but Kingdom is my favorite song EVER. Bottom line, it's a kick-ass album.

reason is very simple : hardest album of devy to "pierce" , definetly 1 that have a very complex and loaded sound.
this album require a very good stereo system and a lot of listening to be appreciate to its value.

once again,physicist rules.and so does infinity.

devin hasnt done anything bad at all in my opinion.