Strange - Physicist is either the best or the worst Devin album

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Strictly judging by the posts regarding the favourite Devin Townsend material on this board, it is quite odd how most people picked Physicist either their favourite or their least favourite Townsend offering. I guess that is a pretty cool proof that Townsend has got a wide spectrum of fans who all prefer his different records.

I personally think, and Devin himself agrees with that, Physicist is like SYL light in some ways and it is the only album where he didn't experiment as much as he did on his other solo releases. I know it's heavy and a good album in its own right, but I don't consider it my favourite album from Devin. It's good for what it is, but it's not his best, and definitely not better than Ocean Machine, Terria, AE, and the like.

It's a much more accessible CD though.

Comments?

Djöfull said:
but dude! are you really in Tibet???
Heh. No comment on that except the following:

"And from the roof of the world / He plays our little lives / As LPs on 45"
Babylon Whores: "Radio Werewolf"
:headbang:
(Roof of the world = Tibet.)

mainly I guess because every song is basically in the same style, so you either totally love the style or you think the album gets slightly old after a while.

i pretty much agree with everything said above here, it's a solid album in its own right, but completely different from Dev's other solo stuff. I wouldn't say it's my least favourite, but I find it hard to put them in order anyways, it's all good stuff.

I personally like that disc a hell of a lot... and saying infinity is also one of his worst.. is... ... .. I think ya need to go back and listen to the disc about 10 more times.. then see what you think.

easy to listen and a light version of SYL. ive been listening to this album too many times to agree on that. its far , too far from having the aggressive sound of SYL as well as all those melodic chorus and guitar harmonics have nothing to do with it. just because its the heaviest devin project people instantly compare it to SYL when theres no reasons for that. sure Devy said it has the "black" elements of SYL mixed up with the "white" elements of infinity which makes a perfect shade of gray (the dominant color on the album cover) but its more than just that. theres something very natural space about this album that when you listen carefully makes you realise why there is some green on the album cover as well , it has a certain "green" element to it. to be more concrete , this album has a totally unique sound and ill never say it enough , those choruses are just legendary , its very old rock inspired (the beatles been mentioned a couple of times). all i could add is this album may seem quite simple , straightfoward and not as inspired as the other Dev albums at first but the key is to dig into it : it definetly requires a lot of listen to be appreciated to its own value , i did listened to it a lot as well as analise it again and again. and that is , probably why some people has it as favorite and others for least favorite.