Picking and weird harmonics.

sander

May 10, 2010
I recently noticed that when playing high-gain generic 5-7-8 metalcore riffs on my schecter as i pick the string i get an annoying harmonic kind of sound that comes before the actual note.

At first i thought it was my playing or picking style, but after trying different picks and picking styles i'm completely lost, the weird harmonics are still there.

Recording fast Miss May I-esque riffs is almost impossible since it always ends up sounding very squeaky.

Most of you guys will probably think that it's my playing (so did I), but i'm not so sure anymore. I could find out if I had another guitar at hand, but at the moment I don't.

So, what am I doing wrong or does my guitar have wiring problems ?

Do you have the strings muted above the nut? (and behind the bridge, if it's a tune-o-matic)

No, not really.

By the way, the guitar is Schecter tempest custom. It has a tonepros bridge if that makes any difference.

Though, i usually do mute the strings that i'm not using with a thin piece of cloth, but that's probably irrelevant at the moment.

Maybe you have set your pickup-height to high and the strings are touching them when you pick?

Bring the gain down.

I'm not sure about the gain being too high, i'd like to think I don't go overboard with gain.

Maybe you have set your pickup-height to high and the strings are touching them when you pick?

The pickups are not set too high, already checked that.

Can you post a clip?

It's late and I can't record a proper demonstration of what i'm dealing with here, but you can kind of hear what i'm talking about in this mixtest I recently did:
http://soundcloud.com/sanderrrr/nolly-esque-heavy-mixtest
You can hear the squeaky stuff 0:18 onwards. The heavy powerchord sound fine, but pay very close attention to single notes and you'll hear what i'm talking about.

It also can be heard here (during the riff starting at around 0:14 and don't pay attention to the crappy mix and master): http://soundcloud.com/sanderrrr/wcam2
But the issue here is that on top of the weird harmonic stuff the guitarist also didn't play the riff tight enough which probably makes it sound even worse and the harmonics are even more prevalent.

I think that sounds fine. You may be over-thinking things, dude!

Really ? Even the second example ? Obviously it's sloppily played, but when compared to professional production (ie Sturgis) it sounds very squeaky and definitely has those wierd pick attack harmonics that MMI-s (or any other big name gothenburg-riffs-core) prodctions do not have.

Well, if it really bothers you that much, you can always try to remove those frequencies with EQ.

I've actually been trying to do that today. So far I haven't been able to find the right frequencies. But thanks for the tip anyway.

This is a very easy problem to fix. The "djent" quack (you can hear it in basically any modern prog-metal production) is caused when the pick slides on the wounding of the string, and the problem frequency in the DI is around 1.2-2khz. Just use an eq on the di and bring that down. Also, the quack is very much intensified by any boosts you have going on (especially tubescreamers). Also, you could try bringing the mids on your amp down a little, or the tone on your guitar, or maybe even dirty up your strings. New strings produce a LOT of harmonics that contribute to this.

Are you talking about the non muted notes? The slightly "quack" sound? As I Lay Dying are the masters of quack. Especially Shadows are Security. :loco:

Just gave Shadows Are Security a listen (great album by the way) and i'm definitely talking about what you are referring to as quack. Only difference being in their case it's hell of a less distracting.

And thanks for the great advice John The Ripper, i guess i'll try playing around with eqing the DI and guitar tone in general.