Pickup changing question.

ShivaLeadGuitarest

New Metal Member
Dec 18, 2008
I currently play on a Ibanez Rg5ex1 in drop c with 10 gage slinkies. My other guitar is a Jackson rr3 in standard with super slinkies. I replaced my inf pickups in the ibanez with wcr icebuckers and got great results. Now i was thinking about changing the pickups in my jackson to Dimarzio D sonic in Bridge and Air norton in the neck. Yet when i did my research, it said the d sonic was best played in drop tunnings. so what should i do, put the dimarzio group in the jackson, or switch it to the ibanez and put the icebuckers in the jackson. any one have any experience with this?

I will say this about the D-Sonic - I personally do not believe I have ever played one before, but even Petrucci uses a D-Sonic in the bridge of his standard tuned guitars, as well as many other people who play in standard with this pick-up. I believe it just lends itself well towards playing with lower tunings if that's what you're going for. They even make a D-Sonic for 7-strings.

The D-Sonic is designed for tuning lower, but most of the notes on most detuned guitars are still going to fall into the range of a guitar tuned to standard. If you like how the pickup sounds, don't worry about not detuning.

Their is the other question though. Should go with the Di Marzio pickups or should i go with a set of duncans. I am looking for a bridge pickup with good articulation, great harmonics and tone, and a neck pickup clear and good for sweeping, chords, and leads (petrucci style, laiho, Oli herbert)

The D-Sonic and the Air Norton sound like the pickup combination you're looking for. The D-Sonic is advertised as a drop tuning pickup, but it also sounds really nice in standard tuning. It's very clear and articulate, with enough gain to get the job done. The Air Norton gives you a nice, smooth lead tone (Both of theses pickups can be heard on the latest DT albums by the way, so if you like JP's tone then there you have it) and makes a nice match of the D-Sonic. I don't own this combination (for now, working on a set for my 7-String), but I've played a friends guitar with that combo through my 5150 and was impressed. I couldn't really give an opinion on Duncans as I have little experience with them, but from what I hear their pretty nice as well.