Pickup recomendations/Dimarzio DSonic, anyone tried it? :)

GregD

New Metal Member
Jun 5, 2004
Hi new to the forum... been playing guitar for a while now. I recently bought a Gibson Les Paul Studio and i want to replace the bridge pickup.. Im looking for a sound similar to some doom/death metal acts (finntroll, tristania, arch enemy, dimmu borgir etc).. but lower. I also quite like the high end gain sounds of Rammstein.

I drop tune every string by a tone so someone recomended the d sonic. I really want some clarity to what I play because the stock pickup in the bridge isnt beefy or clear enough, im lacking in the tightness of my sound.

Im using mesa boogie tremoverb/line 6 vetta II.

I really dont want to go for EMG 85/81 or actives as it would mean rewiring my guitar, so passives if possible.

Any thoughts suggestions on pickups or comments on the dimarzio d sonic would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I (on my BC RICH) use a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker in the bridge and a Seymour duncan Invader in the neck.

Fucking screamin' pup combo :D

Well, if you know how to install pickups, you probably know how to wire a couple of actives, it' no big deal. And if you're getting a tech to do it, he obviously can do it for you. I'm saying this because the EMGs seem the way to go for you.

I will be getting a professional tech to do it for me as I have no idea how to :)

Everyone seems to use EMGs so im trying to be different and find my tone rather than other peoples. I would like to model it on other peoples somewhat but not completely if ya know what i mean :)

Are there possible risks changing pickups? Like bad contacts or sound cutting out?

The Duncan Dimebucker is perhaps too thrashy for me though if you have songs/sound clips id love to hear yer tone ;)

"Are there possible risks changing pickups? Like bad contacts or sound cutting out?"

Depends how good your tech is :loco:

"The Duncan Dimebucker is perhaps too thrashy"

Think Pantera.

This is a personal opinion, but if you're trying to get somewhat of an original tone (if that is possible) I'd start from your amp, pedals, processors, etc. I'm saying this because a couple of nice actives give you a really strong base to get a great tone, as they are super clean and quiet (these words do not stand for sterile). This is the way I see and hear it anyway.

I think pantera is too out of control for me ;) i prefer doom metal but with clearness and clarity to the crunch and rhythm.

I want to basically get to the stage where im pretty much at the same level sound wise as some of the bands I mentioned and then adapt it for myself.

I think ive exploited the stock pups as far as they will go tone wise.. they are still somewhat muddy no matter what I do to the EQ and post compression.

They sound ok but more geared for hard rock than metal..

My current thinking is go:

Dimarzio Dropsonic OR Airzone in the bridge
Dimarzio Air norton in the neck (everyone says this is great for metal lead work/clean)

Unfortunately I have no samples of what these pickups sound like really.. so guess just have to try and hope for the best.

Arch Enemy don't use EMG's. Mike Amott's Flying V (Gibson style - not too dissimilar from a Les Paul then), uses a JB in the bridge. Also George Lynch's baritone has a JB (Seymour Duncan) in the bridge, so they can obviously handle down tuning. Also if you've got a Gibson you might as well get a pickup that reflects the quality of the guitar / wood, i.e. an active p/up wo'nt be as good at this.

xOrdinary_Storyx said:
....bad idea

Well what do you suggest I do then? :)

Other than putting it in the guitar I have no way to check how it sounds, the guitar shop agreed to swap it out if I don't like it also.

Ravenous Enemy said:
Arch Enemy don't use EMG's. Mike Amott's Flying V (Gibson style - not too dissimilar from a Les Paul then), uses a JB in the bridge. Also George Lynch's baritone has a JB (Seymour Duncan) in the bridge, so they can obviously handle down tuning. Also if you've got a Gibson you might as well get a pickup that reflects the quality of the guitar / wood, i.e. an active p/up wo'nt be as good at this.

Im pretty sure i saw a carvin guitar being used on the 'We will rise' video. I only know that song by arch enemy but the tone was pretty cool.

I understand some pickups suit some wood types better than others but how do you tell :) other than trying several obviously.

Space Rabies said:
Nothing beat the tonezone as far as versitility. I have a tonezone 7 in my Rg 7620 also..

Cool, do you downtune? If so does it sound ok, not too muddy?