another pickup-thread

Hexer

Nov 1, 2003
Germany
Visit site
I want to do a few changes to one of my guitars (Marathon ProSeries RR) and one of these changes is a pickup-swap.
the guitar has 2 humbuckers and the neck-PU has the coil-split-function (push-pull-pot). now as I want to use the guitar mainly for Black/Deathmetal stuff, I want it to sound really heavy and brutal. I want to stay with passives though.
I was thinking about putting a Dimarzio X2N in bridge-possition (really like the Superdistortion in my other guitar) but I haven't had the cance to try one of those so far. are there any sound-files online (didn't see any on the Dimarzio-hp)??
also: what would be a good neck-PU to go with it? maybe something with the coil-split possibillity (I don't think I'll use it much, but as the option is already there, why not give it a bit more versatility?)

any ideas? also: what should those PUs cost?

I don't have any experience with Dimarzio I'm afraid, but I just put a Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion in the bridge of my baritone Ibanez, and REALLY like the sound of it. It's very versatile, and can get a really cool "dirty but clear" sound. Heavily distorted minor chords and things sound really good. It'd be great for black metal, but still has a good punch to it too, for other forms of metal.

I'm getting another Duncan Distortion for the bridge of my standard guitar, and I'm going to mate it with a Duncan Full Shred in the neck. Should be an interesting combination I think. I should have them in the guitar later this week, and will post some additional comments if you're interested in hearing them.

One thing to watch for is what woods your guitar is made out of. Some pickups can be too bright in lighter woods, but sound superb is darker woods. The same pickup in one guitar may sound like crap in another.

The Duncans new are about $70 USD each. Not sure about Dimarzio, but I would assume they are similarly priced.

thing is: I don't whant that typical Blackmetal-sound. what I need is a clear sound, but with quite a lot of punch. (think of Immortal, Behemoth, Kataklysm, maybe Dimmu)

about the wood: I don't know what wood the guitar is made of (bought it used)

shure I'm interested in hearing about the Duncans, too.