new pickup combo

Inverted11

New Metal Member
Feb 5, 2009
what's up, josh here. been thinkin about upgrading my guitar. i have a jackson dk2 with 1 humbucker slot and 2 single coils. in the bridge i have a dimarzio fred which i love. recently ive been doing some research and have come to a decision to put a dimarzio x2n in place of it. the dilemma is that i dont want to get rid of fred. so i decided to drill i spot for it in place where my middle single coil is. question to all you tech gurus out there is would that be a good combination: fred in the middle and x2n on the bridge. i thought fred might compliment x2n with its lasting sustain and harmonics that satriani is famous for, but primarily i'm just trying to make my sound more "deathy". anyway, tell me if that's a good or a bad idea. thanks

2nd humbucker...
A little confused here. Um...would the fred and x2n work together? You'll probably just end up using whichever is on the bridge (x2n) for rhythm all the time and then the other for lead. So...yeah, that'd work, I guess. Probably a better p'up combo out there, but sure, why not.

Those are both high output pups meant for bridge position. You would want the X2N in the bridge. With the Fred you will have to lower the pup height to match the volume of the X2N. Your strings vibrate more freely towards the neck position, therefore pups made for your neck position generally have less output than bridge pups.

ever since i tried the emg 81/85 combo i have never lookede back. such a good heavy sound yet still so clean.