Pictures from the Studio

DemonJames

Fallen Demon
May 7, 2002
Seattle, WA USA
Finally, as promised, here are a few pics as we work on recording.

Right now we're working on drums so let's take a peek in the studio
Drums-small.jpg

...and the man behind the drums:

Jay-small.jpg

So what's the process? Since we're starting with drums, Jay will lay down a couple of drum takes with maybe a few different ideas that he's come up with. Then we'll listen and think about the 'vibe' of the drums as compared to previous concept and pre-production recordings. Then we might make some changes and repeat the process. Eventually we'll come to a what we feel is the right sound for the song and we'll make a final recording.

Here's some pics of that process
Demons-small.jpg

Demons2-small.jpg

Jay likes to make notes for himself
Study-small.jpg

and sometimes gets advice from the most unlikely sources
StudyAdvice-small.jpg

Here's a shot of my messy desk during that evening
Desk-small.jpg

And Blaine enjoying the soft, subtle percussion of one of our latest recordings
InsaneBlaine-small.JPG

So what kind of rig is Ryan using. I know Jeff has his ESP/Soldano and James with your Fender and Ampeg but what does the new guy have besides that shiny Jackson Soloist? :headbang:

Due to the enormous outpouring of requests for the details of the drum setup I’m using, here are the long awaited specs of my kit. My drum set has gone through several transformations during my time with Shadow Demon, with this double bass monster being the final result. The arrangement of the set is inspired from Nick Barker’s (Ex CoF, Dimmu Borgir) and Bobby Jarzombek’s (Spastic Ink., Rob Halford, Iced Earth) kit setups. Like all drum sets, mine is “never complete” however the momentum of the changes to the set are slowing down quite a bit, with my only future plans to the kit is to convert all the cymbals to Zildjians, and hardware to Pearl. The details of the kit are as follows:

Pearl Masters MMX Series in Midnight Fade

Two 22” x 18” bass drums
10”, 12”, 13” - rack toms
14”, 16” - floor toms
14” x 6” MRX Snare
Pearl Icon rack (rack mounted machine guns pending)
Axis pedals
Assorted cymbals that mainly Zildjian
Rock-N-Soc throne

tbhride said:
So what kind of rig is Ryan using. I know Jeff has his ESP/Soldano and James with your Fender and Ampeg but what does the new guy have besides that shiny Jackson Soloist? :headbang:

Ryan is actually in the process of shopping around to upgrade his current rig for the purposes of Shadow Demon and he's looking at a few different options. When he finally makes a purchase I'll let him know to share it with the rest of you!

As Jeff has said I am still looking. I think that I have narrowed it down to a couple of different options, including: Splawn Pro-Mod 100, VHT Pitbull 100CL, or even an Engl Powerball. I need to compete with Jeff and his full stack so I am definitely going all the way with the full stackage. I currently use an older Jackson Soloist, and a Fender Stratocaster "Malmsteen" go figure! Like Jeff indicated, I'll update my info, as soon as I complete my set-up.

RLG

DemonJay said:
Dr. Pepper along with green masking tape on your cabinets actually improve your tone.

It really is an art. While the masking tape brings out certain low-mid frequencies for that extra beef, too much tape and your sound can get too overloaded. Also, the consumption of Dr. Pepper must be sustained properly through the course of a recording session so that the strings don't sound dull.

4e985f330a.jpg