Pierce the Veil... Hate the vocals, love the guitar tone.

Joel4662

Jul 23, 2010
Yeah it's not a sturgis production but I don't wanna bring up ptv on sneaps forum!

Pierce the veil that is. They use soldeno and orange cabs, but I can't afford those

Was wondering what the best way is to get a clear, crisp, overdriven tone like that without all the hissing and fuzz I get from ampsims.

I'm used to just using 5150 and triple recto tones but they're a bit heavy for this style... So I'm lost

Selfish Machines is a wonderful album. Personally, I love the vocals... but if you don't, try pitch shifting the album down 2 semitones!

But yeah, I agree. I'll be producing a buddy's band, who sounds a lot like Pierce the Veil/PMToday (an EXCELLENT band everyone should know about). Obviously, LeCto and X50 may not work quite as well for this task.

Since I love the LePou stuff (It's free!) have you tried SoloC (Soldano), or LeXTAC (Bogner)? These will give you non "metal" distortion tones. Then you could find an Orange cab impulse ... I'm sure there's one somewhere.

Perhaps the hissing and fuzz can be tamed with a noise gate somewhere in your effects chain. Without one, then yes, you'll get excess unwanted noise.
Also, EQing will help with unwanted noise. Most people report unpleasant noise around the 3k area when using amp sims.

Yeah I tried gates and eqs on pod farm but to no avail
But good call I didn't realize lepou made those sims (I use the triple rect a ton) I'll definitely give those a try!
And yea I have some orange impulses so I'll give all that a go

Also, make sure you don't judge your tone until you have the bass behind it. Listening to a song from that album right now, a HUGE part of the guitar tone is in the bass. (As with most guitar tones)

Try using the AC30 sim on Pod farm, with a tube screamer, or the Citrus amp.

In this clip: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9799371/Citrus Test.mp3 I used the Citrus amp, with the Class A-30 cab.
Tube Screamer in front. I think it sounds decent. Guitar was an SX Furrian (single coil, telecaster style pickups)

EDIT: Or the diamond plate with less gain

this leads me to believe it also could also be my pickups...
i always record with an ESP with active EMG's, it might be nice if i get my hands on a tele or strat..

I am trying these sims you guys are telling me though and getting way better tones.
good point about the bass too.

See the first link in my sig.

irony is i've seen that thread like 6 times haha!
Yeah for me the biggest problem has been the fizziness (all across the freq spectrum) and lack of highend, but i'm starting to realize that's probably my source. Emg's/old strings/DI box (or lack thereof, i just use my Pod UX2 input right now) probably aren't helping me out too much.

that said, i will try recording some stuff, with a bass (and drums of course), mixing it, and seeing what i can get out of it :D