pig destroyer-painter of dead girls

Chopstick up the Peehole said:
Apparently it's got the tracks from the split with Benumb. I reckon that stuff's pretty good......

That split with Benumb rules.

Wow. that was a useless post, but I could not resist.

Worm-Infested Intestinal Tract said:
PS: Pig Destroyer are not grindcore.

Yes, they definitely are. What the hell are they then?

I agree, that is weird. I am not TOO hung up on the whole genre thing, but Pig Destroyer is most definitely grindcore. To the original poster, what bands do you consider grindcore? Just so we can find out where you are coming from.

Mike

I'm being picky, but Pig Destroyer are technically not grindcore, they're really their own sub-genre. I've heard them referred to as things like "artgrind" and "techgrind" before......I think techgrind is an appropriate term, because it's definitely technical (both the instrumentation and arrangements), with a lot of death metal influences, but combines the blasting ferocity and occasional upbeat, punkier riffs evident in grind. Pure grindcore on the other hand is far from technical, and is more heavily influenced by hardcore and punk than it is by death metal.

If you wanna get specific, "grindcore" is bands like:
old Napalm Death (of course)
Excruciating Terror
Phobia
Rot
Undinism
Brutal Truth (Need to Control album)
Terrorizer
Captain Cleanoff
Dahmer
Ulcerrhoea (Line and Row album)
Openwound
Unholy Grave
Extreme Noise Terror (Phonophobia album)
Blockheads

I'm being picky, but Pig Destroyer are technically not grindcore, they're really their own sub-genre. I've heard them referred to as things like "artgrind" and "techgrind" before......
This is the type of grind that I was inquiring about. Perhaps Agoraphobic Nosebleed would serve as a better example of the short-but-sweet songs. How long do THOSE bands last?

I'm being picky, but Pig Destroyer are technically not grindcore, they're really their own sub-genre. I've heard them referred to as things like "artgrind" and "techgrind" before......I think techgrind is an appropriate term, because it's definitely technical (both the instrumentation and arrangements), with a lot of death metal influences, but combines the blasting ferocity and occasional upbeat, punkier riffs evident in grind. Pure grindcore on the other hand is far from technical, and is more heavily influenced by hardcore and punk than it is by death metal.

Excruciating Terror
Phobia
Rot
Undinism
Terrorizer
Captain Cleanoff
Dahmer
Openwound
Unholy Grave
Blockheads

Very interesting. For one, I would consider a couple of those bands more goregrind than grindcore. Secondly, for pure technicality in grindcore, I would not think of bands like Pig Destroyer, but more like Nasum, Rotten Sound, and Squash Bowels (Tnyribal era). With those bands in mind, Pig Destroyer is far from "technical".

Regardless, interesting distinctions.

Mike

Gory Elephant said:
Very interesting. For one, I would consider a couple of those bands more goregrind than grindcore. Secondly, for pure technicality in grindcore, I would not think of bands like Pig Destroyer, but more like Nasum, Rotten Sound, and Squash Bowels (Tnyribal era). With those bands in mind, Pig Destroyer is far from "technical".
I don't agree with you at all. From those opinions, it's like we're listening to completely different bands......

Eg. I put on Rotten Sound's Murderworks right now......sure, it's fast and frantic, but the riffs aren't techincal at all, just lots of shredding and grinding riffs......the drums are lots of blasting and fast stuff, nothing more technical than most grind bands........there are a few death metal-influenced twiddly bits, but nothing overly technical.......

Also, Tnyribal is one of my favourite albums, but IMO the most technical thing about it is the insane bombardment of vocals! Other than that, it's fairly standard Squash Bowels (with the exception of the ambient passages of course), which isn't technical at all.

Pig Destroyer on the other hand have more intricate riffs, occasionally sporadic arrangements, some jazz-like influences in the drumming and sounds, to me, like there's a bit of a Dillinger Escape Plan influence......it's certainly a far cry from the blueprint grindcore of early Napalm Death and the other bands I listed above........

Lastly, I don't think any of the bands I listed are even close to goregrind, in lyrics/themes or in their sound. :confused:

Excruciating Terror
Phobia
Rot
Undinism
Terrorizer
Captain Cleanoff
Dahmer
Openwound
Unholy Grave
Blockheads

Stop fucking making up genres. They sound like grindcore, so they are grindcore.

Worm-Infested Intestinal Tract said:
Stop fucking making up genres. They sound like grindcore, so they are grindcore.
Did you read what I wrote?

"I've heard them referred to as things like "artgrind" and "techgrind" before"

That doesn't mean I made it up, now does it? I just agreed that I think it's an appropriate term, and I think I justified why I do, quite well.

I've discussed these topics with very knowledgable grindheads, people who've been into the punk/hardcore/grindcore scenes since the early 80's and know what they're talking about, and they ALL agree that grindcore, by definition, is not technical; and Pig Destroyer are definitely not grindcore, in the true sense of the word, no question about it.
Think about it. Is hardcore technical? No. Is punk technical? No. Do either genres stray very far from a standard formula? Not at all.
These were the genre's that spawned grindcore.....(I'd hope that) All you have to do is listen to "Scum", then chuck on "Prowler in the Yard", and hear the blaringly obvious differences and this argument should cease to exist.

Meanwhile, I'll just keep saying techgrind.

I don't agree with you at all. From those opinions, it's like we're listening to completely different bands......

Eg. I put on Rotten Sound's Murderworks right now......sure, it's fast and frantic, but the riffs aren't techincal at all, just lots of shredding and grinding riffs......the drums are lots of blasting and fast stuff, nothing more technical than most grind bands........there are a few death metal-influenced twiddly bits, but nothing overly technical.......

Also, Tnyribal is one of my favourite albums, but IMO the most technical thing about it is the insane bombardment of vocals! Other than that, it's fairly standard Squash Bowels (with the exception of the ambient passages of course), which isn't technical at all.

Pig Destroyer on the other hand have more intricate riffs, occasionally sporadic arrangements, some jazz-like influences in the drumming and sounds, to me, like there's a bit of a Dillinger Escape Plan influence......it's certainly a far cry from the blueprint grindcore of early Napalm Death and the other bands I listed above........

Lastly, I don't think any of the bands I listed are even close to goregrind, in lyrics/themes or in their sound. :confused:

Hmmmm.... We have wildly different opinions, obviously. Or could be that we consider different meanings for the word "technical". Either way, in my opinion, tnyribal is FAR from standard squash bowels. I have about half a dozen squash bowels splits, and when I heard that tnyribal album, great though it is, I could not believe it was the same band.

Secondly, and I could be TOTALLY wrong on this, since for one thing, I have no idea what the lyrics are like, but if memory serves, couldnt bands like ulcerrhea and dahmer be considered to lean towards goregrind?