Pink Floyd: where to start?

Alex78

Fretbuzz Virtuoso
Jul 12, 2002
Germany
Visit site
or don't start at all? ;-)

I hear that the first few albums were more experimental than stuff like Dark Side Of The Moon...but else I have no idea. what would be a good album to start with?

I'd start with Wish You Were Here.

The first album is more um... weird. I guess. Check it out, if you like it you should also look into Syd Barrett's solo works (mainly The Madcap Laughs) which builds on that weirdness (you can almost hear his sanity crumbling on some of the tracks).

Ummagumma (the studio disc) is pretty experimental; each band member got half a side of an LP to work on. There are some crazy, crazy songs in there, and a few listenable ones (Narrow Way pt 3, Granchester Meadows).

But post-Dark Side is probably the best way to start, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall. All brilliant. Check out Meddle too.

I'm seeing Roger Waters in February. :fanboy:

Of course start!!!

Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here are most likely the easiest to get into. After that maybe check out Animals or Meddle (atleast for Echoes, my favorite song of theirs) and then the Wall I guess. Then you can either go backwards into their more experimental sounding stuff or to the Final Cut or Gilmour era stuff (the Division Bell is great).

It really depends on what you like in your music, but I think Meddle is as good a place as any to start. Song based album, with great tracks. A pillow of winds and Fearless are great. And it has Echoes which is just impossible to describe; a true epic. I'd be surprised if you havent heard half of Dark Side of the Moon by sheer accident, so I'd so go to Wish you were here or animals next.

I'd say start with Wish You Were Here. It's what I started with and it's one of my favorites of theirs. Get Animals and Meddle after that. Those 3 are my favorites.

Meddle was my first....i think i was about 3 or 4 when i first heard it. My old man used to play it to me, to get me to shut the fuck up. Well that's what he said anyway.