Pink Floyd

OK. Here's a thought. What Floyd album is your favorite? Which one's the best? And what are your 3 runners up?

Me, I'll go with Animals as my favorite and the best. For runners up, I'll go with The Wall, Live at Pompei and...hmm...Wish You Were Here.

I love Pink Floyd!

David Gilmour is actually my favorite guitarist, I think he's very underrated, just because he don't play fast it doesn't mean he's not a godd guitarist.

"That man can do more with one single tone than most others can do with a whole fretboard" - Dave Mustaine about Gilmour.

Does anybody have there debut 1967 with Syd Barret as the frontman and Waters as just the bassist with vocals in some songs...Piper at the Gates of Dawn? I'd say Dark Side and Wish You Were Here are their best, but Piper comes close..it is SO fucking weird, especially the lyrics..like in songs like Bike. It's like Sgt Peppers era Beatles but times 1,000 in craziness. I also like Animals and Meddle. The Wall is good, but is overrated beyond belief.

metu said:
OK. Here's a thought. What Floyd album is your favorite? Which one's the best? And what are your 3 runners up?

Me, I'll go with Animals as my favorite and the best. For runners up, I'll go with The Wall, Live at Pompei and...hmm...Wish You Were Here.
Ok heres my oppinion, Wish You Were Here is indeed the best and my favorite. The songwriting is just phenominal. Heres something else to consider: ask a classic rock fan their favorite PF album and they'll usaly say The Wall. Ask a casual PF fan their favoirte album and they'll say Dark Side of the Moon. Most of the hardcore fans seem to go for Wish You Were Here, though quite a few have DSotM as well.

My three runners up 1)DSotM 2)The Wall 3)Ummagumma (its just so damn wierd)

Brent said:
Does anybody have there debut 1967 with Syd Barret as the frontman and Waters as just the bassist with vocals in some songs...Piper at the Gates of Dawn? I'd say Dark Side and Wish You Were Here are their best, but Piper comes close..it is SO fucking weird, especially the lyrics..like in songs like Bike. It's like Sgt Peppers era Beatles but times 1,000 in craziness. I also like Animals and Meddle. The Wall is good, but is overrated beyond belief.
I love early Pink Floyd, I've got most their stuff from that era, including the CD of early singles that came from the Shine On box set, some incredible stuff... I like bunch of their later stuff, but never really got attached to Animals, the The Wall and their later stuff (though Animals and the Wall beat the shit out of A Momentary Lapse of reason, haven't heard The Division Bell).

im trying to beef up my Pink Floyd collection. I am trying to get stuff on LP

so far I have

DsotM LP, Ummugumma LP, Wish you Were Here LP, Atom Heart Mother LP, The Wall LP

The Wall CD, Dark Side CD, and Final Cut CD

Pink Floyd is the greatest Band Ever! I have all the albums as everyone else should. All four of the bands transitional periods, the Psychadelic Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Relics and some songs on Saucerful of Secrets, the Progressive Rock from More until Meddle, The period when Waters dominated from DSOTM to Final Cut and finally the Gilmour dominated period of Momentary Lapse of Reason and Divison Bell are all amazing and have distinct sounds to them which I love most about Pink Floyd. The band dosen't just play the same thing as many bands tend to do, they expand their music with every album. As for my favourite album, definately Animals followed by Atom Heart Mother and Meddle. and the best song has to got to be Careful with that Axe Eugene off of Ummagumma, nothing can beat that Scream.

XxRyaNxX said:
any other Pink Floyd fans around here?
NO! :p

And no one calls us to the land
And no one crosses there alive
And no one speaks
And no one tries
And no one flies around the sun
And now this is the day you fall

This is an interesting thread. When I started with Internet back in '92, basically there were only .edu sites. But I remember one I found looking on the FTP servers, was Halcyon.com and was ultra-coll because I found there all Pink Floyd lyrics.

With the exception of the poppy "The Wall" (which goes back to my high school days) and the boring "The Final Cut" (which I finally decided to get rid of), all Pink Floyd albums from "Atom Heart Mother" up to "The Division Bell" are dear to me, being "Animals" the dearest. Among the finest albums ever recorded with the most extraordinary guitar work by David Gilmour.

Pink Floyd is probably my favorite band. I like pretty much all eras of Floyd. Even though it's their most well known I still think Dark Side is the best album I've ever listened to. But you can't go wrong with Piper, Atom Heart Mother, and Animals. If you haven't checked out the Live in Pompeii video/dvd you need to.

My three favorite Floyd songs are Dogs, Grantchester Meadows, and Your Possible Pasts.