Robbing people at swordpoint
Sailing the seven seas
Scurvy
Tattoos
Raping wenches
Cutting throats

Ninjas:
Hiding like a little bitch

I agree, but maybe not so ultra manly because....when wenches die due to starving because you feed yourself and crew first....who's left to rape......don't worry...what happens on the boat stays on the boat. lol

I discovered Battleheart on myspace a couple years ago and thought it was pretty good, except for the vocals. Then about a year ago, a friend of mine who is the metal director for our campus radio station showed me the Alestorm myspace and I was like "this sounds exactly like Battleheart," not realizing that they were the same band.

I would definitely listen to ninja metal though, because I it would probably sound just like the Heavenly Sword soundtrack :headbang:

DRAGONFORCE SIDE BAND, NOT ALLOWED TO LIKE
:lol:
more fun than DF.

I agree, but maybe not so ultra manly because....when wenches die due to starving because you feed yourself and crew first....who's left to rape......don't worry...what happens on the boat stays on the boat. lol
Wat
You rape the wenches, then make them walk the plank. You fail at piracy.

i agre ninjas r awesome but 1st i wana hear some pirate metal
who knows some bands that do pirate metal
Pirate metal:
Swashbuckle
Running Wild
Alestorm
Verbal Deception

and for ninja metal try shadow warriors but there's really very few bands with lyrics about ninjas.

If "viking metal" is a real genre, then "pirate metal" definitely is, as well.

Ninja metal would be cool. We also need cowboy/indian metal. "Indians" (Anthrax) and "Run to the Hills" (Maiden) would be landmarks of the genre.

There are far more bands writing about vikings than about pirates. However, I would say that there are some musical elements that are distinctly piratey. This mostly consists of adapting shanties and stuff to a metal format, sorta like a lot of viking/folk melodies consist of scandinavian folk adapted to electric guitar.

However, I don't think there are really genuine genres of viking and pirate metal, because these are defined by lyrical focus. A pirate metal band couldn't write about anything but pirates. If a Running Wild didn't write about pirates, no one would consider them pirate metal. Same for viking metal (although people keep calling Eluveitie and Turisas viking metal for some reason...).

There are far more bands writing about vikings than about pirates. However, I would say that there are some musical elements that are distinctly piratey. This mostly consists of adapting shanties and stuff to a metal format, sorta like a lot of viking/folk melodies consist of scandinavian folk adapted to electric guitar.

However, I don't think there are really genuine genres of viking and pirate metal, because these are defined by lyrical focus. A pirate metal band couldn't write about anything but pirates. If a Running Wild didn't write about pirates, no one would consider them pirate metal. Same for viking metal (although people keep calling Eluveitie and Turisas viking metal for some reason...).

I don't think they are distinct subgenres. They're really just offshoots of other subgenres (folk, power, black, etc.). That said I don't think it's inappropriate to describe a band as "viking" or "pirate" metal, especially if, in addition to lyrical focus, they are incorporating musical elements reflective of vikings or pirates, as you mentioned.

Oh, and I just noticed the Nile logo in your sig. Haha, the founders of Egyptian metal!

Okay, yeah.
And yeah, Nile own. I've been trying to write something in their style, but I don't know jack about Egypt.

Alestorm are pretty mediocre. A couple excellent tunes (Captain Morgan's Revenge, Set Sail And Conquer) and a lot of average stuff (the rest).

Cauldron Black Ram aren't exactly blowing me away either.

Okay, yeah.
And yeah, Nile own. I've been trying to write something in their style, but I don't know jack about Egypt.

They're one of the few death metal bands I like. :headbang:

And this is a great topic. I've been downloading "pirate metal" all day!