PJ Harvey

matt99_crew

Dec 9, 2003
PJ Harvey has been one of my favorite musicians since her first album Dry was released in 1992. She’s got a gorgeous and powerful voice, is a tremendous songwriter, and has a quirky indie style that sounds indebted to the past but like no one else. She has developed a lot during her career, and I like her earliest stuff the best, but all of her albums are outstanding. Plus, she’s got a shitload of b-side material that is as good as her albums.

Right now I’m listening to her entire discography shuffled on my ipod. Great stuff.

Any other fans?

50 Foot Queenie!!!

I'm not familiar with much of her stuff, but she is definitely cool.

My favorite albums are her first two--Dry and Rid of Me. Her sound is much more raw on those albums. Her next one, To Bring You My Love is fairly sparse and kinda bluesy, her next one, Is This Desire, has more electronica, and her last couple albums are slightly more accessible but very solid alternative stuff.
So if you prefer a raw, indie sound I'd go w/ Dry or Rid of Me. If not, I'd get either of the last two, Cities... or Uh Huh Her. The latter is a bit more quirky. All are great.
Some of you Radiohead fans will be interested to know that Thom Yorke does two phenomenal duets w/ PJH on the Cities... album.

BTW--if you want to sample some stuff I can send you a mix or an album.
It's kinda hard to tell a new listener where to start, as her style really changed a lot during her career.

I'm heading to ye olde indie music store in a day or two, I'll look for Dry or Rid of Me. Hooray for unspent Xmas gift certificates.

lizard said:
can you send me a couple of mp3s
Sure. Via email, AIM, or what? Do you use i-tunes? Because I have all of her stuff saved in their mp4 format. If you don't, I'll rip some mp3s.

This stuff is pretty cool, thanks and stuff. I'll return with more details after a few listens.

Enjoy the CD-Rs!

Okay out of those 4 songs, The Letter is my favorite.
matt99_crew said:
or Uh Huh Her. The latter is a bit more quirky.
Right, appears I'll start with this one then. :)