Playing live, without bass guitar.

What device do I need to split the sound?

worked pretty great. we don't play a kind of music that requires lot's of bass, but yeah with one guitar it's going to sound weak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... I'm in the same situation. We've just been offered a gig this Saturday after another band cancelled, and it's quite perfect because it's relatively small and informal, so a great chance to check out if the set list works before some more important gigs later - but our bass player just wrote back that he couldn't make it (no specific reason given) and he didn't feel he would ready anyway. :-/

He's now THIS >< close to getting kicked out of the band...

So, I'll try the split signal -> eq -> octaver thing and see if it works - might have some experience to share with you afterwards!

It will most likely suck depending on what kind of music you play.

Some grindcore bands, like Wormrot, can get away with it. But they kind of suck anyways.

Punk rock might be able to get away with it.

Played that gig on Saturday with the normal guitar sound + a parallel guitar signal running through eq, octaver and distortion into the bass amp - and I think it worked okay for our relatively simple material.

We had to cut a few corners here and there, but I don't think anyone noticed - and we got them moshing, so it can't have been too bad!

We played the gig. I just told the soundman to turn a little bit of the bass on the guitar and the kick drum up. It was good, nobody complained.