please help me treat/modify my room!

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hey there,

i feel that i really need to change my room in order to get the most out of it sonically....unfortunately, i know next to nothing about acoustics, despite reading many internet articles and the likes...

anyways, i figured since there are so many experienced people over here, i might as well respectfully ask for some suggestions :)

well, i did a few drawings of my current room.

http://drop.io/roomfragle

the "room now" picuture is exactly that, a true to scale drawing of my room...all sizes in centimeter, apologies for that :)

as you can see, i'm sitting right between my monitors and a window as of right now, which sucks....there's no other way to say it.
the first thing i'm planning to do is to rearrange my whole room, and as of right now i'm thinking something along the lines of the "room new" picture.
basically, all i did was trying to get the listening position as close to 33% of the longer side as possible, as well as getting next to nothing behind the listinening position....the bass traps are just mere guesses, basically.

the drawback is, that exact wall (the whole right side of those pictures basically) has a "falling roof" so to say, see the picture "roof". i'm not quite sure how that would display in my room acoustics, mainly bass response, but i *think* there might be some bass buildup...
on the other hand, the opposite wall has a large balcony door made of glass=lots of reflections, so setting the whole thing up back to front wouldn't be all that good, would it??

as you can see, i have absolutely no idea where to go with my room.....thus i'll be very grateful for all kinds of advice.

thanks in advance
fragle

You want to be 38% (not 33%) away from the FRONT wall not the back wall on the long end... You definitely want more space behind you than in front of you. Other than that, bass traps in corners and treat the early reflection points, should get you in the ballpark!

well, i was under the impression that it wouldn't really matter if i was 38% (thanks for the correction) away from either the front or the back wall, as theoretically the response should be equal at both points....i remember reading an article at realtraps or whatever about this.
but well, so be it ;)

anyways, as of right now it's really more about how to arrange the room and where to put the listening position as well as the desk.
i thought that it's best to have the room as symmetrical (sp) as possible, hence my first suggestion where there would be nothing but the couch and 2 empty corners to put bass traps into behind the listening position....but then again, maybe i'm just wrong ;)
thanks for the input though :)

well, i was under the impression that it wouldn't really matter if i was 38% (thanks for the correction) away from either the front or the back wall, as theoretically the response should be equal at both points...

The rooms modal response, or strength of the modes if you like, would be the same, however the time for the rear wall bounce is faster, and the faster it is the less your ear can tell the difference between it and the dry signal, so your room sounds worse or is less accurate, which is why having your speakers and workstation at the front is generally favourable. (unless you have a foot of bass trapping at the back ;) )

Id take your plan, and switch it so that you face the blank wall on the right, because the most important places for a bass trap is behind your monitors unless you are soffit mounting.

Joe

bump, i'd like to start this as soon as possible in order to get the most out of my next project.

btw, i also have access to another, smaller room, sized 420cm x 350cm. the room is basically empty as of right now, other than a couch and a desk.
there's one window at the front wall, and a door at the back wall, that's it.
the most important thing about this room should be that it's in the attic, which means the left and right walls are actually knee walls....i have absolutely no idea whether this would be an acoustially good or bad thing, though.
the floor is covered with parqet (as is my own room i was talking about above), btw, so i guess it's rather reflective, isn't it?

would it be worth turning this room into a dedicated mixing room, or is it just too small or whatever??