Please help my mix! I'm getting frustrated..

Apr 30, 2012
Indonesia
I'm a noob mixer, and this is my first post.

Anyways, before I start to mix my own band, I've learned from this forum and I'm practicing mixing with Feared song called Lord Resistance Army from Rejects album (thanks Ola!)

Here's my mix:

Mostly I use Presonus StudioOne plugins in this song (about 90 %) and mastered with Izotope Ozone 4. I can't afford expensive plugins yet. Drum I use is Superior 2.0 Avatar kit.
What I found is, I couldn't get nice sound like what I want. My sound is always powerless for me. Compared with Ola's original mix is far faaarrr superior.
I don't expected sounds like Ola. But I wish I'll learned how to get sound as good as possible from my limited bedroom studio.

Please let me hear from you guys! Sorry for my bad English..

Last edited by a moderator:
The Drum sounds too low, its not playing a major role in your mix, download some Kick and snare,tombs samples( there are millions on this forum and billions over internet ) or try to trigger all of them , and you need to EQ the guitar and cut the right frequency and bass

Kick and snare needs some work. As mentioned above, try different samples and perhaps blending a few together.
Guitar takes up a lot of space, and I would perhaps try to trim the fat on it to make more room for the bass.
I would bring vocals a tiny bit down so it doesnt overpower everything else, but has to fight it way through at some of the more intense spots. Also, the delay is too up front for my tastes.

Thanks for feedback!
well, I actually do trigger with some Andy Sneap samples for kick and snare plus some compression on it. It sounds okay in alone but kinda lost in the mix. If I set the level of snare and kick too high it's going clipping.
It's really hard to get the drum sound good in the mix. I've tried it all days, makes me really frustrated.
what should I do guys?