Please pardon my n00bery, need VST plugin help

fistofdissent

New Metal Member
Apr 5, 2010
Hi All!

I'm very new to the world of VST plugins...as in completely ignorant. I've been playing guitar for almost 30 years through traditional equipment. My last amp purchase was a Line 6 Flextone II years ago when it first came out. I have done alot of recording in the past both with TASCAM hardware as well as through my PC via Cool Edit Pro 2. I recently upgraded to Adobe Audition 3 and I also have Sony Vegas 8 Pro because I do alot of video editing. My soundcard on my PC is a Creative Audigy 2 ZS with the live drive and it does support 24/96 via ASIO drivers.

What I need help on and I have searched to no avail...is how do I use the VST plugins that I see being posted here on the forums? the ones I'm really interested in are from LePou (Legion). I was completely blown away by the sound. But I can't find anything online that can instruct me step by step as to what I need or how I have to setup the plugin to use it in real time.

Maybe with my setup it's not possible but I'm willing to learn if someone can take a few moments to give me a hand.

so with that, what software do I need (preferably free), what hardware do I have to have, and how do I use these free plugins in real time?

thanks for the help!!!!

--fistofdissent

Try out reaper. Just insert the vst as an insert. Simple as! I dont know about the other programs you mentioned, but Reaper is very cheap, especially compared to Vegas Pro, and is widely accepted as a great DAW. create an audio track with the guitar into the interface DI and bang in Lepou to the track insert.

Yup, Reaper kicks ass, and to elaborate, after installing it, you would paste the Legion .dll file into the Program Files/Reaper/plugins/FX directory to get it to show up in the list of plugins in the program (and you'll also want an impulse loader plugin after it for cab simulation, see here)

Thanks fellas. :headbang:

I just came to the realization that #1. I'm old, and #2. I'm way behind the times.

As an aside, I'm blown away by the talent on this site. :OMG: