help I realy need a great mastering vst

gabriel g.

Sep 7, 2006
Hamburg
www.myspace.com
I´m thinking of buying me the waves l3. But I used the demo and it has some strange flanger effect´s in some parts of the song( I think because of the compression???)

Do anybody else know is of the L3

I had a Universal audio but it didn´t worked in my system.

tc electronics firewire with 12 plugins around 760euro

about 800euro??? Whats about the finalizer vst plugin???

There is no "Mastering" vst. There are mastering bundles like t-racks (which blows in my opinion). Besides who is to say your mix is only going to need an L3, or for that matter and L3 at all. Mastering is more then slapping a plugin on a track and calling it a day. Diffrent tracks require diffrent steps.

dude ...

I´m asking what would be the better infestigation, waves L3, waves Mastering bundle, tc electronics powercore...

And first of all

I think a good maximizer or something like that is enough for good mastering.
I think you don´t realy need all the enhancer and so on...

This tools could also destroy your hole mix.

Perhaps there is some hardware around 800 euro??

best regrads

dude ...

I´m asking what would be the better infestigation, waves L3, waves Mastering bundle, tc electronics powercore...

And first of all

I think a good maximizer or something like that is enough for good mastering.
I think you don´t realy need all the enhancer and so on...

This tools could also destroy your hole mix.

Perhaps there is some hardware around 800 euro??

best regrads

I think your missing the point of what I was trying to say. Besides you never mentioned anything about a "good infestigation".

Anyways, back to your question. If you are looking for pure volume then yes a hard limiter is going to be your best bet. But by no means is it the best solution. Each mix has to be treated different. I never mentioned any kind of "enhancer". Usually things with the word "enhancer" in it I try to stay away from. I am talking about high quality EQ's, comps, dithering, etc. All these things have a very specific duty and the only way you’re going to know what is needed for the mix your mastering is by listening to that mix and determining what you can do to it to make it better.

As far as specifics go its kind of hard to say. There is a lot of good stuff out there. I personally like the SSL buss comp for some glue, I like tweaking with a Q10, dithering with a Power 3, Hard limiting (only 1 or 2 db) with an L2. But like I said this changes all the time. There is no one thing that will be used for every single mix.

In regards to you "flanger" sound goes. This sound is calling "pumping" and it means you basically are using way to much comp/limiting.

I would also find just in mentioning a fresh set of ears and a great room is the most important aspect of all. That is why I still send my mixes out to get mastered by someone other then me. Besides I will never be able to afford this list of gear that my mastering house has

Manley Variable-Mu (Mastering Edition) compressor / limiter
Crane Song STC-8M Class A mastering compressor / limiter
“SS-oweL” Stereo Compressor (Custom unit based on the SSL4044E/G buss compressor with added MCI416 transformer output)
Crane Song Ibis Discrete Class A parametric equalizer
Aphex Systems 320A Compellor compressor / leveler / peak limiter
Malcom Toft Audio Designs ATC-2 equalizer / F.E.T. compressor
Aphex Systems 722 Dominator II Precision MultiBand Peak Limiter
Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) Nautilus N-802 loudspeakers
Pass Labs X-250 power amplifier
Crane Song Avocet monitor control system / monitoring D-to-A
Crane Song H.E.D.D. 192 - Harmonically Enhanced Digital Device
Lavry Engineering (dB Technologies) 4496 Conversion System:
M*AD824 2 channel A/D converter
M*SYNC Master clock
M*DA824 2 channel D/A converter
Crane Song monitoring D/A
Apogee Mini series
DBX Quantum II Type IV Conversion System
Lynx AES 16-channel Digital Interface / Router

I do alot of demos for little bands

This bands haven´t the money for a masterstudio.

But say still wants sounding great.

I´d used the dither in cubase. This one never makes problems and it sounds good. The l3 has also a great dither. I know. I dont like the q10 for mastering
Its a great tool for kickdrum . . .

I think the new studio eq in cubase is great for that. But In my opinion you dont realy have to eq your mix. Only cutting the lowend...

Do you worked with the l3 and the waves mastering bundle???

I do alot of demos for little bands

This bands haven´t the money for a masterstudio.

But say still wants sounding great.

I´d used the dither in cubase. This one never makes problems and it sounds good. The l3 has also a great dither. I know. I dont like the q10 for mastering
Its a great tool for kickdrum . . .

I think the new studio eq in cubase is great for that. But In my opinion you dont realy have to eq your mix. Only cutting the lowend...

Do you worked with the l3 and the waves mastering bundle???

No I have not used the L3 (I have used the L2) but I have used the majority of the other waves plugins. In an ideal world no you should not be eq'ing a mix at master. But you never know what the mix is going to need. As far as small projects go that are not going to be mass produced I think you can get good masters out of the waves stuff.

One word of advice on the L2/L3 if you have not figured it out already. It is almost always abused by people who use it. You mentioned that you were getting an unpleasent sounds. This is because you were expecting it to do way more then it should ever be asked to do. It usually starts to sound like shit after 2-3db reduction.