what kind of mastering chain do you guys typically use?

Machinated said:
I think the ordering of the mastering chain is fairly loose, except I always have a limiter and the Elemental Audio Inspector XL last in the chain. Other than that, Ill tend to use some of these: URS EQ's, Sonalksis SV315, Waves RComp, C4 (sometimes), Timeworks Mastering Comp, and I seem to find myself using Tritone Digitals Colortone FREE. Thats probably one of my most used plugins at the moment, I recommend it highly.

damn, that colortone pro demo sounds so good, way better than the free version. i might consider buying this...

yea i tried doing some eq matching last week and i didnt really have any luck. but to be fair i didnt spend much time on it.

does anyone want to share their experiences using firium? maybe then i can get some ideas of how i should be using this software.

I don't know what I'm doing but I use C4 sometimes(not Andy settings)..lol
Lin MB
Waves RCL
L3 Maximizer
L3 Ultramaximizer

Har-Bal doesn't have an eq matching function although you can do it by hand. If I A/B to a song that I want it to sound like it'll be close anyways so no point in matching exactly. I don't match the EQ curve to songs, I just use Har-Bal to get out any peaks/valleys below like 5k so my compressor isn't going too hard. If you don't have like 10years experience mastering, Har-Bal really helps.

OzNimbus said:
SS Levelizer. Maybe a HPF before it & that's it.

But that's down to the fact that your mixes sound great before this stage. Obviously, if something is mixed well, the Mastering Engineer, doesn't need to do a lot.

Usually it's something like:

Waves Q10
Waves C4
Sonalksis SV-315
Timeworks Mastering Compressor
PAZ Analyzer (Turn off prior to bounce)

I usually pull all of them up, even if I don't need them, simply because I can pick and choose what's required. I don't tend to use the C4 very often for mastering anymore, and if I do it's usually set very lightly to compress the low-mids and stop things from muddying up.

The Sonalksis smooths everything out

The Timeworks gives massive level... but at the expense of being prone to clipping if you're not careful. Toms... guitars... they give me the most trouble with this thing.

In Sonar I generally just use PSP Vintage Warmer, then I mixdown and use T-Racks to actually master (which is an eq, a compressor, and a limiter). It means if something's not right I have to export the whole mix again, but I like the way it sounds and reacts - if you push it a bit too hard, it sounds saturated rather than clippy (if you see what I mean).

I find the Timeworks Mastering Compressor works great if everything in your mix is already really compressed, but if I've got a reasonably dynamic song I can't get the threshold below about 3 before my toms implode.

Steve

cobhc said:
But that's down to the fact that your mixes sound great before this stage. Obviously, if something is mixed well, the Mastering Engineer, doesn't need to do a lot.

Thanks man! It took 7 years to get to that point. My secret: burn test discs & take them out for a listen on the car stereo. Contrast is everything.

Mastering shouldn't use a huge signal chain... the less the better, IMHO. Test your mixes on other systems as you're working & tweak accordingly. But car stereos are a great place to judge because of how a car's interior works acoustically. No paralell surfaces & no walls with huge mass, allowing the bass to escape instead of coming back at you out-of-phase. This allows you to hear more bass & therefore get a truer picture of what's going on in the low end.

You will need a shitload of blank cd's tho! :loco:

I don't own a car (it's as impractical in central Dublin as it was in New York), but I reference check mixes on absolutely everything I can. I use my main Tannoy monitors, a secondary set of Yamahas, a cheap set of Creative speakers, mp3 players, good/bad headphones, tv speakers, my girlfriends god awful boombox.....everything. Before settling on a final mix I always come back to it with fresh ears and almost always change things the 1st, 2nd, 3rd + time around....makes a hell of a difference to come back to it a day later.

Since discovering the L1 and L2, I use them on EVERY MIX. Best plugs ever!
I don't like to make a mix too loud. I like the sound of albums, that you can crank the volume knob on your stereo to 10, without blowing your speaks. Like Alice In Chains' "Dirt." Joe Satriani's new album "Super Collasal" just shreds the speakers. Probably the "loudest" I've heard recently. Very well produced, but not my style. The car is the best, like Oz said. I use the car, the ghetto, the girlfriends car, the home system.

Highpass around 30hz
Waves LMB
L2

i vary sometimes, maybe with an rcomp to make it more compressed or some eq tweaks. i monitor my RMS with the PAZ meter and make sure the peak is around 10 rms.

My mixes end up sound pretty similar to how the sound premaster, only a bit louder and it may mesh alittle better.

If you do some search around mastering forums you´ll see that when Chris Lord-Alge delivers a mix the ME only comps it like 2 db and it´s done. This was actually said by 2 or 3 ME that had the pleasure to master some CLA mixes.

Ok, Ub3r-n00B question ahead - you have been duly warned.

Is there a good reverb plugin out there that will reverb with depth varying by bandwidth, like C4 does with compression, and would this be something that could be done with half-decent results? Will reverb give better results than well-placed single slapback delay in a similar use, and will those godawful phase problems be introduced if I don't know what the fuck I'm doing?

And can I restore the dynamics I lose with EQ, if worst comes to worst?

Jeff