Please someone post EMG 85 / 81 comparison samples

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
I'm really curious about the sound of an EMG 85 into the bridge.
If someone can elaborate a bit more on how they sound compared to the standard 81s, it would be great, and post samples would be awesome ! :headbang:

The 85 is fuller and bassier; it works better in thinner sounding guitars (like guitars that are mostly maple, for example), but in majority-mahogany guitars IMO it's too muddy and the cut of the 81 is essential (I tried it in the bridge of my all-mahogany ESP EC-400 in C-standard tuning and preferred the 81). However, while I at first though I'd prefer the 85 in my Ibanez Prestige, I'm now thinking the 81 might still be better in that too, so I'll do a test shortly!

What Metaltastic said! I LOVE the 85 in the bridge of my Frankenstrat (parts guitar),which has an Alder body I think, but prefer the 81 in the bridge of mahogany bodied guitars. But not all. It does depend on the guitar, but as a rule my default position is 85 is the go to bridge position EMG.

Had a mahogany viper 301 and preferred the 81. Now I have a mahogany Eclipse II and I prefer the 85 but they sound almost identical in it. The 85 has a little less fizz and a bit more punch.