Please tell me how do I use impulses?

keano

New Metal Member
Mar 8, 2007
Can someone explain how I can use these with my POD for better recordings?
I am completel new to this do I need a particular program?

Can I use it on my actual real guitar rig in my bedroom apart from POD?

Vocals?

Thanks!!

Can someone explain how I can use these with my POD for better recordings?
I am completel new to this do I need a particular program?

This has been covered numerous times here, but here we go:

1) You need a plugin that handles the impulse file. Try Boogex or SIR.
2) You need the actual impulse file. There's a shitload on this forum.
3) Disable the cabinet simulator on your POD.
4) In your DAW software, load the impulse plugin to the track you are recording your POD to.
5) Load the impulse file to the plugin.
6) Ta-voila-dah.

Hey thanks. So I should use the impulse/SIR as an insert then not a send I am guessing.

I wonder how this would sound if I use my amp > Hot Plate - Line Out> Daw using the impulse cabinet. I could crank it more without shaking windows.

Hey thanks. So I should use the impulse/SIR as an insert then not a send I am guessing.

I wonder how this would sound if I use my amp > Hot Plate - Line Out> Daw using the impulse cabinet. I could crank it more without shaking windows.

Does you amp have an fx loop? if so, you wouldn't need the hot plate.... Just run your fx send to your interface, throw a impulse on it, and away you go... You COULD use the hotplate, but the whole point of impulses is that they include the sources poweramp character... So if you went that route, you would be overlapping your power section with the one on the impulse.... Not sure how that would sound...

I didn't know that. I thought the impulse was just a sample of the reverb of the room. Maybe I am not getting it yet?

My amp does have a FX loop. But even not using my map and using a Pod the modeler is modeling the amp as a whole... pre and power section right? But we are skipping the pods room micing and using the impulse no???

Just trying to understand ha! thanks

Does anyone have a clue which amps can deliver the preamp sound without the standby switch on? I know 5150s can.. I just tried out my Krankenstein with headphones and the lineout was dead until I switched the standby on... And the FX-loop was silent all the time :D

I'm just curious because I really wouldn't like to drag my cab home as well. Is this possible with Krank heads?

I didn't know that. I thought the impulse was just a sample of the reverb of the room. Maybe I am not getting it yet?

My amp does have a FX loop. But even not using my map and using a Pod the modeler is modeling the amp as a whole... pre and power section right? But we are skipping the pods room micing and using the impulse no???

Just trying to understand ha! thanks

The impulses we use on here are Cabinet impulses, not reverb impulses. It works on exactly the same principle but you are modelling a poweramp section, cabinet and mic placement all at the same time with the cab impulses. It's just like using the cabinet models in your Pod, except these ones don't sound like absolute shit :lol:

The poweramp thing is an interesting point though. As far as I understand, impulse responses measure EQ response over time, but power amps provide more than that (third order harmonic distortion, etc), which you can't really model with impulses. You might stand to gain something by introducing the poweramp and hotplate section in addition to the impulse response's power amp, but they might clash; try them both out and use what sounds best.