What do you do for clean guitar parts?

I like the cleans on my mark v, but I also have a jc 120 and a vintage vox ac30tb :) the orange rockerverb is also
kinda cool. So is the bogner shiva. I tend to use a buttload of compression and reverb with subtle delays panned opposite sides.

I have no problem to get cool cleans using my dual rectufire and my jackson with emg81, in alternative when i need more clean an crispy sound I use my mesa v-twin rack preamp.

I've used a bit of everything. From Guitar Rig to Guitar Suite's Rednef Twin to Vintage Amp Room. They all have different sounds, and it's about what works best for the material. If I were to be doing stuff with cleans now I'd probably give Amplitube 3 a try and see how it goes.

From what I recall Jeremy used Amplitube 3 for the semi cleans at the verses of this song: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Music/Memnoir-Soundtrack For A Nightmare.mp3

and I used the clean channel of my Bugera 6260 into impulses for this one (in the verses and intro): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/285689/Music/GoodWillOut-Paranoid.mp3

I also love the clean channel of the 5150, yes is dirty and not clean, but it works really good with some type of pushed cleans.

You say you're using passive pickups and have a POD... you should have no problem getting great sounding cleans. Use the neck pickup. Keep it in humbucker mode for thicker sounds or split it for brighter/chimey sounds.

EMG single coils sound great for cleans by the way... the clean tone on Cynic's Traced in Air for example. The 89 or 707 in single coil mode would do that sound well. I've heard fairly good sounds with 85 and 707 in the neck too, as long as the volume is rolled down, but it's not as nice as the single coil sounds. The 808 on the RG2228 8 string I had actually sounds really good for cleans too... it's lower output than the 707, and that guitar has a longer baritone scale so it's naturally brighter... the result is a nice crisp humbucker clean tone. If using EMGs, single coils are the way to go usually though, in my opinion...

Had a JC120 a few months back which was super, super clean - loved it. 5150III clean channel sounds great... thunderverb can do anything

Gonna throw this out there...

what do you guys do for a quick and cheap clean tone live?

5150 is my amp and cleans dont have to be outstanding... but has anyone tried switching from an amp to something like a POD>PA for their clean tone?

5150 is my amp and cleans dont have to be outstanding... but has anyone tried switching from an amp to something like a POD>PA for their clean tone?

i used to use a switch box to switch from the 5150 input for gain and to the input of the pod for clean. the output of the pod would then go to the effects return

i used to use a switch box to switch from the 5150 input for gain and to the input of the pod for clean. the output of the pod would then go to the effects return

That's actually a really good idea.

Correct me if im wrong... so u go from guitar > splitter/switcher device... than one chain goes into the amp, one chain goes into pod. then the pod bypasses preamp and goes straight into power amp via effects loop?

And also I could technically have the gain up on the Rhythm channel and still get clean tones when routing through the pod.

But... doesn't that mean I can no longer use my effects loop for effects that affect amp distortion?

That's actually a really good idea.

Correct me if im wrong... so u go from guitar > splitter/switcher device... than one chain goes into the amp, one chain goes into pod. then the pod bypasses preamp and goes straight into power amp via effects loop?

And also I could technically have the gain up on the Rhythm channel and still get clean tones when routing through the pod.

But... doesn't that mean I can no longer use my effects loop for effects that affect amp distortion?

you got the chain right

you can still use the effects loop it just involves some weird wiring and goofy switching. you would need to get 1 of these

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dytG60JC2...ABW4/ylWO5JDzBSg/s400/jack+3.5+splitter_1.jpg

1/4in one though just couldn't find a picture.

you would then put it in the effects return jack and run the pod into one side and your normal effects chain into the other.

it worked fine for me it just adds a bit of noise but if your using a noise gate it really shouldnt make any diffrence

On the stage I turn down the volume nob on my guitar (with emg81 or dimebucker) down till the sound is clean->grunchy.....

On the stage I turn down the volume nob on my guitar (with emg81 or dimebucker) down till the sound is clean->grunchy.....

Waiting for my ISP Decimator G string to get to me in the mail, but right now that wouldnt work well with my noise gate :-/

I can sometimes pull it off if i play super super soft, but its really flaky and uber sensitive to my picking.:erk:

Fender Telecaster through a Princeton reverb = best clean tone I've ever heard.