Please tell me if this sounds good or not : song going to the mastering tomorrow

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
I'm working on a mix of a song for an heavy/thrash metal band, and this goes to the mastering tomorrow morning (the great Cutting Room studio in Sweden).
I have to finish it tonight so it's a bit of a stress. Can you help me with what sounds good or not in the mix ? Maybe too much separation ? I had trouble with the guitars, as always with the fizzy/muddy Powerball, had to cut a lots of mids with the EQ.
The kick sounds cool but maybe I can go for something more natural with more low mids in it/more thump ? The drummer isn't always tight as you'll noticed.
I tried to go for kind of a "natural sound" thing (lots of room in the drums, not too polished production...).
Tell me what you think and what can be improved to your ears.
Here is the link :
DOWNLOAD HERE

Hey man, I really dig the roominess of the drums, the snare especially sounds great! HOWEVER, the kick has got some weird stuff going on; sounds like the attack is boosted way too high (like around 8k or something), and it just sounds very bizarre and piercing - also, I don't really hear any body to it, just that strange "pick pick" (rather than "click click") noise. I dig the bass, though it could use a bit more presence (I've really never mixed bass, so I have no idea where to suggest boosting :erk: ). The guitars are pretty cool; not my thing, but I can't really think of what I'd change. Yeah, I guess I'd say the only things that really need work are the kick and to a lesser extent the bass. Good job!

Well, I got a new mix right now, it's the same kick, still struggling with it, but guitars are way better : tons of EQ, I killed the fizz ahah, has an "old school" touch, I like it !!
I boosted some 800 Hz and 2,5k on the bass guitar too, more brutal.
Here it is :
DOWNLOAD