Please tell me what's wrong here.

hostin

New Metal Member
Aug 1, 2008
Hi all,

I think it's my first post here so I will first introduce myself.
I'm a french boy of 21 Yo I'm a guitarist since 6 years and drumer since 4 month :Smokin:
I'm found of prog metal (since I'm 6yo, when Images and Words came out)

I spend the last 3 years recording tracks, I have 3 cd completed but now I am just openning my eyes on the mixing and I can see that my music sounds awfull.
so I contacted Brett (French Force !!! hihi) and asked him some advices.

He tolds me to ask to you all, so please be gentle as I am completely new in music production and mixing.

here is the last Mix I made, and I am not sure how good it is. can you please rate it and tell me what's wrong in my mixing ?

Thanx to you all and thanx for this wonderfull forum

http://despite-behavior.com/music/test-16-08-08.mp3

I would do this: (I'm just a n00b compared to most guys here on the forum, but I hope this helps you)

Add more high end on the kick to make it more noticable.
More mids in de guitarsound gets them more up front.
Lower the volume of the bass.

I would do this: (I'm just a n00b compared to most guys here on the forum, but I hope this helps you)

Add more high end on the kick to make it more noticable.
More mids in de guitarsound gets them more up front.
Lower the volume of the bass.

+1 on this.

+ use a lot less gain on the rythm guitars

Sinon ça sonne plutôt pas mal.

Bienvenue sur le forum !

Your kick sounds really soft, but I kind of like it. Might wanna work with the compression to give it some more attack though.
There was a really good thread on compression, dealt alot with compression on the kick snare and guitars. I cant remember what it was called but do a search in google for it and it should turn up.
I like your snare, it sounds really good.

Hey,
First I want to thank you for your answers.

I will take all your advices and send you a new mix soon.
Can you tell me which VST plugins I should use as a compressor, EQ, etc ...

If you have some templates for any software I take it :D

I'm using Cubase Studio 4, Superior Drummer 2, Waves Bundle 3.6, PSP AudioWare Bundle and others.

Thanks to you all:):):)

Oh and hmm ... Sorry if I am the freak chick of the day but I saw some thread about a Meshuggah PodXT Tone but no way to find the tone.
Maybe a good person can tell me where to find it ?

Thanks a lot. This evening I will search for the Compressor Thread Jess.Ocean told me about and I will try to send you a new mix tomorrow :)