What's wrong with my mix?

The snare and kick are a bit too loud, and the guitars seem a little muddy. Try turning up the presence. The snare also doesn't seem to have much if any reverb or room sound on it, which can add a subtle bit of life to it. I'm listening on cheapo monitors, but that's what it sounds like to me. Not shit by any means though!

Kick is fine it sounds good, I like a loud kick if the click is more of a flap and the low end is lower than the bass. Sounds like every velocity on the snare is the same at like 127, mess around a bit. Put some kind of dark verb on that particular snare to soften it up as well, is there a transient designer on it as well? If there is take it off, if not, bring up the sustain on one side and soften the other.

Are the drums recorded live, or are you using something like superior drummer or steven slate drums. Same goes for the guitar and bass. Sounds like your kick and snare are peaking, it turn pushing your master down if you did indeed try to create a master mix. I'm not to experienced with recorded drums, but if everything is created in a DAW, I think I could provide a lot more constructive feed back.

This is an unmixed track I was just messing around with tonight to try to find a better guitar tone to record with. It uses Steven Slate Drums, Texas Grind Bass (I don't have my bass guitar with me here), and TSE x50 for guitar sounds with two cabs mixed together on left and right channel.

Your guitar and bass combo sound good; only quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a quick master of your song with some low (with one peaking band) and high shelf, and ran through SlateFX for volume.

I agree that you need to add some more bottom end to your kick drum. Same with the bass, and cut around 200-350hz to let the guitar have its presence if you haven't done so already.

Let me know if you download it or are done listening to it, and I will remove your material from my page.

Last edited by a moderator:
more bottom end to the kick? o_O that sounds like "bom ... *silence* bom ..."
if any, i´d donate some low-end to the bass, to fill the gaps

Listened to the track you ran through SlateFX, not sure if thats what I'm after though but thank you for giving it a shot. Done some changes to the bass and the kick, a bit more bottom end. Think it will work out better now. Thank you all for your input :)

Try to put gentle reverb on the whole drums (Valhalla Reverb is a good point) and some warmer on the master bus to glue it together (PSP Vintage Warmer?)
Try to decrease the volume of the snare and add another reverb on the snare only.
Cut the mud from the bass (200-400 Hz - experiment til you get satisfactory result) and add more lowend to the whole mix.
BTW great riff (0:15)