Pod Farm Console Sims

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
has anyone played around with the console sims included in the podfarm platinum package?

i've never really given them much use, maybe on a vocal track or something, but today i tried them on the individual buses, i.e. drum bus, guitar bus, bass, vocal bus, and the result was quite interesting. i wasn't even doing any EQ with the sims, just the fact that i strapped them across e.g. the drum bus added a lot of coloration, in a way that i couldn't match by using an EQ.....seems like there's more involved than just an EQ curve, it's actually compressing and/or saturating the tracks.
the UK classic (or whatever it's called) sim actually sounded really cool on the drum bus, nice edge.

i wonder if anyone else has experimented with them?

I sometimes us either the Vintage UK or the American one for a bit of saturation.
seems to work really well on percussive elements, gives a nice tasty colour to the high-end.
In fact, i used it all over the Kuei - "Saturn" EP (you can listen to preview clips here)

to be honest that's all I'm using podfarm for these days, the console sims, the choruses and delays.

I use the API model quite a bit on many things. Does wonders for guitar, drums, snares, vocals, overheads, bass....

yeah, doesn't it?
it sure sounds like a whack idea.....you wouldn't run your drum bus through some mic pre's would you? but it adds a nice touch. i'll post a mix later today....tbh i'd love to do an a/b comparison, but the second i take off the console/pre sims the whole mix completely falls apart, so it's not really useful i guess...

btw, i just checked the manual. basically you get the american console, which is based on an api lunchbox pre+eq, recorded to tape, the vintage UK which is the same deal but a neve clone, the console one which is ssl like, plus a few others.
it was interesting to see that they tried to model the tape thing, too. guess that's why there's more going on than simple eq and a touch of compression. i'm definitely hearing saturation here.
btw, did anyone try and match the podfarm solid state console model (the ssl clone) to the waves ssl g/e channel eqs?
i only did a quick comparison with the e channel strip......podfarm was a little brighter i thought, and i heard more saturation and other non-linearities in the waves version. it's about 95% close though, which is interesting.
obviously the waves pack is much more versatile, IIRC you're limited to a few fixed frequencies, only 1db gain steps, and fix Q setting on the podfarm emulation, so waves obviously goes much much deeper in their package. it's just interesting to see that the basic sound character does seem to be there in both versions.

oh, and btw, i just checked the mix i was working on...turns out i subconsciously picked the api sim for the guitar bus, and neve sim on drums and vocals....those were the best sounding for the job in that particular mix, i didn't know what model they were based on. kinda, interesting, isn't it?guitars....api.....drums....neve....rings a bell, hehe.

Glad to read this cause I was thiking of buying a POD X3 to use it not only for live bass duties but also for my vocals live, using one of these things to have my own vocal sound with my preamp saturation, reverb etc. every venue I go too, from reading this I guess it´s not too bad an idea right?

Didn't even know POD Farm had these... are these in regular POD Farm / Metal Pack ? I have those but not the new one...

edit: just saw you said POD Farm Plat , but are these in the standard package or no? If not can I buy just like an add on pack with them , or do I have to buy the whole Plat pack?

Do it all the time for vocals when I dont have the possibility of using the real-ones.
Gives HC/metalcore vocals that little something....not overgaining things just colouring things in a great way.

I didnt need to use this when I mix vocals recorded with an neve preamp, because the preamp gives me that something.

But its a great thing to make the vocals sound a little more like $$$$

holy shit, just tried the vintage preamp on superior and it made my drums sound way morefocused and "in your face"... taking them off feels like everything looses countour...
i can only advise you guys to try these things, they are great if your looking for new sounds !!

yeah, doesn't it?
it sure sounds like a whack idea.....you wouldn't run your drum bus through some mic pre's would you? but it adds a nice touch. i'll post a mix later today....

Actually....

Yes.

+4dbu coming out of the converters, into Line-In on the console, using the gain as a trim knob. Run the gain until the peak leds are hitting and use the fader to ride the level down to not kill the 2 buss.

The right IC in the circut will make the difference. I have outfitted 16 of my channels on my console with NE5534 chips on the main audio path. They are the same IC's that SSL have been using since the days of the first 4000 series, when pushed hard they make some nice mid-range crunch and make the top end crisp as fuck. They sound nothing like BB's but they work for what your talking about.

I do this with stems and individual tracks all the time, when I dont want too much console sound on the mix, but just a little to spice things up. Mixing real good analog summing with ITB summing can make for some "clean vibe" (if you get what I mean)

As always YMMV...

Now i know i will get ripped a new one on this, but how do you go about using it as a plug in? In logic for example? (my daw of choice)

Because when i try to use it it's saying "no authorized device detected" when i clearly have my toneport plugged in.

Now i know i will get ripped a new one on this, but how do you go about using it as a plug in? In logic for example? (my daw of choice)

Because when i try to use it it's saying "no authorized device detected" when i clearly have my toneport plugged in.

contact line6 support, sounds like something fucked up your registration

according to the manual, for example the api model is a 512c mic pre, going through an 550b EQ, recorded to tape - so you actually get the effects of tape saturation modeled, too.
the vintage UK one is based on the neve 1073 pre, also recorded to tape.
even though they claim the console (=ssl style) one is not colored and designed to be pretty clean, i think it does indeed add some waves ssl-ish flavor to the tracks, but with less saturation than the waves stuff.

To those of you who are trying the API model out. I found that it has a bug, well at least on two systems I have used it on anyway. If you turn the drive up on it, then back down to 0%, you will notice a bit of a boost in volume. What I have noticed is that when I re-open a session that has that preamp on anything, the tracks will be quieter than before, until I open the GUI for the API model and move the drive knob up then back to 0. I'll have to make a clip of this so I can give an example.

I guess I'll just ask again , can someone tell me if these are only available in POD Farm Platinum , or can you buy a small pack with just these , like the Metal Shop pack etc... I bought POD Farm basic / whatever and Metal Shop , and I got a few effects packs free

Actually I'm on my laptop right now , away from my main computer and UX1 , but I opened up POD Farm on my laptop to check , and under Preamps I see American Classic , Vintage UK , Console(?!) , just plain Vintage , Modern , etc... are these the same ones you are talking about?