Pod XT + DFHS + Impulse Responses (Pantera/Rob Zombie-ish)

Ben Johnson

SSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Jan 17, 2006
Chicago
Me and my buddy recorded this song today. It has the drums in the vein of Vinnie Paul, rhythm guitar akin to Dimebag, pinch harmonics ala Zakk Wylde, ambient/keyboard/audio clip like Rob Zombie, and a solo similar to the style of Alexi Laiho. The song is called Black Children of Panzombie Society. :)

As somewhat of a joke, the settings on the pod were literally bass 10, mids 0, treble 10 (herbert patch)...I think it actually came out sounding halfway decent.

Anyway, I didn't spend too much time mixing this, thus the strange and unexplained change in rhythm guitar tone after the solo...and a couple other things that could use some tweaking.

Stream

Download

_________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE!!!

With the help of Mr Sneap's kick and snare, I think I've gotten the drums sounding much better. I tightened up the mix a little as well...same tired guitar playing though.:)

Stream

Download

Well, it was just for fun, trying to cop the styles of those bands, and we wanted a Vulgar Display of Power kind of feel, hence the over-compressed sound.

When the guitars and bass starts playing, I thought it sounded good, but then the drums came in :)

It could have sounded a lot better with better drums, right now it sound like the snare is in the bathroom taking a shit...

The snare needs some more compression...seriously, it's got the right snap to it, it's just not fitting along with the rest of the stuff in the mix. Just add some slight comp to it...or squash it and see what it sounds like. I'd be very curious to hear a squashed snare for this....also it sounds like it needs some verb on it, just a room verb, nothing drastic, part of the reason it doesn't fit too well is because it's kinda too direct sounding. Other than that, cool lead phrasing, especially at the end.

~e.a