Poetry

I'm glad someone said Bukowski. I find just about all other poets to be utterly pretentious. I always thought Bukowski embodied everything metal is about, without having any connection to it whatsoever.

Homer's work is awesome. But they're more like stories than poems.

They read like poems in the original Ancient Greek. Translating poems never quite works out, and neither does translating Ancient Greek. Catullus is one of my favorite poets in Latin, but he's usually utterly atrocious in English translation. I also like Vergil, Dante, Ovid, and, of course, Poe.

Also, Mort, I think that's EVERYONE'S first Frost poem. :loco: Not to knock the poem itself, of course.

Hahaha yeah, alot of people I know were introduced to him with Mending Wall, The Road Not Taken, or Nothing Gold Can Stay - but yeah that one is probably one of the firsts too :p

Song lyrics do count as poems. I am a big fan of poetry, I write a lot of it. William Blake's London is probably my favourite poem but I am a huge fan of Nick Cave and Bruce Dawe, two famous Australian poets. Nick Cave may be better known as a musician (Grinderman being his most recent outing) but he has done a lot of great poetry in the past. He wrote the script for the movie The Proposition which is poetic genius.

Part of Metal's weakness is because of a lot of the stigma attatched to it, much of it never crosses the radar of people that would really enjoy it. I say this now in regards to Anders Jacobsson, a utterly brilliant poet and the lyricist for Draconian. He frequently does spoken verse poems in their music and if you took the rest of the music away and his utterly guttural death growls there would be a large appeal for many fans of gothic poetry.

Ok then, heres a couple songs I wrote, if you want to see more just let me know.

title: Fleshmountain

Flesh mountain
Blood fountain

Squirming obscenities in a vile display
Twisted monument of gore and decay
Skin clad vault of human excrement
Cyclopean bulk of death and disease
Devours the sun and poisons the seas

Undying blasphemy
Unholy beast

Cradling dismemberment a thing of disdain
Titanic mass writhing with pain
Infernal bastion of loathsome sins
Chaos encased in bulwarks of skin
Untainted evil inflictor of death

Rotting hordes of the wretched dead
Wickedly gutted and skinned alive
Tortured in storms of mindless brutality

Destroyer of humans and gods
This pillar of horror caressing the skies
The heavens lament and they fade away

Flesh mountain
Abomination

title: Howls of Chaos

As autumn is slain by the first moon of winter
Arrives the time of things of the cold, and the dark

With the death of sunlight
Hope too dies
The smooth caress of icy winds, howling at my ears
Breeds despair

The screaming wind tosses me beyond the moon
With an empty soul I fall into the glaring void
In the black I fall past myriad formless entities
And I leave behind the stars

Spiralling down into realms
of deeper darkness
Into deathly black chambers

Mind is pierced by the whining of accursed flutes
Played by amorphous unknown beasts
Wrapping me in chains of madness
The groping claws of Azathoth
Embrace me

Drag me down into maelstroms
of tittering insanity
I find hideous joy as my
Consciousness is bludgeoned into submission
By the howls of chaos
The abhorrent music of eternal night
Nameless blasphemy of spheres unknown
Ensorcels and leaves me mindless
Azathoth laughing

Twinkling emerald mist
Surrounding my ruined form
Behold
The howls of chaos
Burst from my own throat

title: Altars of Disembowelment

Down
In caverns unseen by man
Altars of disembowelment
Blood falls to crimson stones
Coagulating
The precious lives of the sacrificed
See the fear in their eyes
Tearing open the rib cage
Glistening shrines to the unholy
We seek the secrets
Hidden inside the flesh
Kneel upon our altars
Be pierced by iron
Disembowelled in the abyss
By the blades of the unseen

I sing Fleshmountain and Howls of Chaos, my brother sings Altars of Disembowelment. I wrote all the lyrics though. Fleshmountain and Altars are pretty much all death metal, and Howls of Chaos is more in the vein of black metal. Let me know what you think of them.
edit: heres a link to a drawing I made of fleshmountain. (it looks better in real life, our scanner isnt real good) http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...endID=94480996&albumID=706916&imageID=5649102

I think the Hollander is possibly the most successful translation of Dante.

Yes, I think so, as well. That translation actually manages to stay poetic without altering the meaning of the poem repeatedly.

Also, Sumerian/Akkadian poetry is wonderful. It's quite a change from normal poetry in its devices, and there's a bit of charm to its simplicity.