Pool/ Billiard Halls In Atlanta? Recommendations?

The_Q

No More Posts
Mar 29, 2003
www.metal-fan.org
I am looking to check out at least one pool hall in Atlanta on my trip down. Can any locals recommend one that is not too far from midtown and is one of the more popular ones? Thanks.

-Sean

I am looking to check out at least one pool hall in Atlanta on my trip down. Can any locals recommend one that is not too far from midtown and is one of the more popular ones? Thanks.

-Sean

The Independent, which is more a bar than a pool hall, but has enough pool tables. It's on the other side of Piedmont park, in the Midtown Promenade on Monroe Ave. That's about the best I can suggest, outside of a bowling alley.

If you can drive, there's a pool hall at 285 and Chamblee-Tucker next door to the Loop Pizza.

The Independent, which is more a bar than a pool hall, but has enough pool tables. It's on the other side of Piedmont park, in the Midtown Promenade on Monroe Ave. That's about the best I can suggest, outside of a bowling alley.

I agree. Had a good time there a few weeks ago. I forget what the prices were, $8.50 an hour maybe? Good beer choices. Also, you can go next door and get some excellent Indian food, and if in the mood for a movie the Midtown Art Cinema is right there. Down below is a 'grungie' bar (The Highlander or something), but its great fun as well.

Errrm, the Highlander is a legendary rock/metal/punk bar in Atlanta. Haven't been there since the unofficial Nightwish afterparty, but they've traditionally had one of the best jukeboxes in the metro area.

Those internet jukeboxes are awesome. Sunday night at the bar I played Carcass, Suffocation, High on Fire, Pantera, and 3 Inches of Blood.

When they work they're great. I tried playing a Nightwish song at a local bar and it only played about half the song. It'd cut off (first time I thought the bar turned it off), some other song would play, and then the Nightwish song would start again until that halfway point. This went on for 20 minutes and yet no one working there seemed to even pay attention.

The jukebox is connected to the Internet. When I was there I played Carcass.

Yep. But the staff/owners gave it an awesome selection of CDs even before it was connected to the Net. :kickass:

Looong ago, there was a small performance room next to the Highlander named the Midtown Music Hall -- I remember my friends in a band called Mutha's Day Out played there, with Nihilist opening, as a one-off gig when they were opening for King's X. The Highlander eventually annexed it as part of the bar, and I think that's the room where the sacred jukebox is now.