Pop Punk Band I've been working with (Real Drums, Slate, 5150II)

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
Haven't posted a mix in ages, but figured I'd throw these up there.

Originally was just doing one track (the first one) with these guys, but they've decided to do 5 more songs with me this summer.

I actually dig these guys, but I'm a sucker for pop music. Either way, fucking talented dudes at 17 years old! Fun fact: nobody involved in this is older than 18. :headbang:

The first one has an assload of low end, need to bust the project open and twiddle a bit. 2nd was just updated and sounds better to my ears!

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/392637/Bands/The Good Age/Trouble On 5th Street.mp3

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/392637/Bands/The Good Age/TGAUntitledMix2.mp3

Quick tidbits:
-Drums:
Golden Age OH's (same company that makes that 1073 clone)
Cheapass MXL on HH (AT4040 took a shit, see the thread I made)
RE20's on toms (first song = replaced with his own samples, 2nd song is completely natural... going to go back through and replace with his own samples though)
57 on snare top, filtered a bit and mixed heavily with Snare 12a (is there a plain Snare 12??)
Kick 100% replaced by Kick 10

-Gtrs:
Fender Jap '69RI Thinline Tele
Fender '72 Deluxe Tele
OD808 -> 5150II -> Mesa OS -> 57's in Fedman config. 2nd track has one L/R set of POD tracks still in the mix because we were really liking the vibe it had on that specific track.

-Bass was a DI from a Geddy Lee bass, first track = fingers, 2nd = pick.

-Vox were just AT4040 -> Saffire Pro26 pres.

Sounds good here! I wish I could get bands like this to book, god damn fucking metal SUCKS. :lol:

Drums (mainly kick and snare) are definitely too low in volume IMO, but I like the character of all the instruments! Oh, and the bass might be a tad too middy, but it's pretty good. Not a bad singer; exactly how much pitch correction am I hearing though? (one of those situations where I can't quite tell if it's just how he sounds or if there are some tuning artifacts)

overall sounds pretty good! some pointers:
-I think the lead vocals are too loud
-I think the guitars are a tad on the dark / muddy side
-I think the snare sounds too triggered
-It seems the left OH is louder than the right and that the HH is very far to the left
-Also I have the feeling there is (for my taste) too much separation between the OH tracks and the rest of the kit. I'd try setting the HP on the OH's a bit lower

Cheers guys! Updated the 2nd one, here's the new link (also updated original post):

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/392637/Bands/The Good Age/TGAUntitledMix2.mp3

Marcus, on the first track, the backing vocals were melodyned, particularly on the harmonies. The guy who sings the harmonies isn't the greatest of singers, and we double tracked his part. The second song, however, has zero autotune... it sounded worse with it, for some reason!

i would add a d-esser on vocals if you havent add that yet! if you do so , try a little more please·.( on both songs )

and more kick and snare also ! rest is cool! ( on both songs )

i would like to hear more highs on the guitars, they sound a bit distant. Also the drums sound alittle too compressed and distant as well. I think you're on the right track though, there's moments where i get hints of of CLA style mix. I'd also like to hear more sub lows from something, I'm not really getting it from the bass or the kick.

sounds really good!! but if im honest sounds a bit too metal for this sort of band.... mostly the guitars.... maybe a touch too much gain. but thats just me.