Poppy burning in london...

You have misinterpreted what I was saying, I was saying that the AIM was to grant the Iraqis and specifically the Afghans more freedom.
I am not arguing the effectiveness, or the circumstances surrounding the reasoning for going to war, specifically in Iraq.
Because It's irrelevant

Their protest is not legit, it ceased to have any validity when they burned the poppies

Also narcossintese, just so that you know, seeing as you brought it up.

The poppies are primarily intended to serve as reminders of the first and second world war...... (although i don't want to imply a sort of ranking system to the importance of those they meant to commemorate)

It goes like this:
Speech: "Islam will dominate"
Why do they say that? Because they´re numerous, spreading fast and follow a very intolerant doutrine that, by the book, will only rest when all other religions are eliminated.
Conclusion: This is bullshit. If they want to behave as the enemy they should be faced as the enemy. No tolerance for the intolerant.

Now this:
Speech: ‘British troops are murderers.’
Why do they say that? Because the british troops actually are invading and murdering people on other countries. And for no reason.
Conclusion: They are right. Their protest is legit. It shouldn´t be called bullshit just because it comes from dudes known for talk all kinds of nonsense.

Very well-put.

Speech: ‘British troops are murderers.’
Why do they say that? Because the british troops actually are invading and murdering people on other countries. And for no reason.

I'd agree, if it weren't for this part.

The majority of people on both sides are woefully ignorant of the entire situation, and therefore have bias opinions on the matter.

Didn´t knew the poem...

Take this last bit:

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep

It is basically saying:
"You must inherit our hate to the enemy. Our hate shall now be your hate, and if you let it fade away, we died in vain".

IMO this is a terrible message and only glorifies the spiral of hate and death. If you give this poem to a muslim who had his fellow countrymen killed on this last war, what do you think he is supposed to think? The poem states that he must inherit the hate from those who killed the speecher. Now you give this poem to a british soldier. The message has the same fx. If you think about it, those muslims shouting at the ceremony were doing exactly what the poem encourages: inherit the hate.

I may sound like a hippie douchebag, but this is what war and religion does. It fucks the situation up in a way that there are no right and wrong sides anymore, there´s no respect without being disrespectful to the other part. It is very easy to keep on this loop trap forever.

I think they just got confused. That many poppies and nobody trying to make and export heroin? It's instinct.

I haven't read the poem before, I don't think I really associate it with the Poppy appeal though....
I find the two posts by copper head quite amusing though.
He posts a poem that essentially promotes an eye for an eye
And then he confirms his Christianity, lol

Damn christians

I blame the Christians. It might sound like "WTF?" but I blame them.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20022176-504083.html
Same shit, different country/fanatics.

And here is some terrorism if you want that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-abortion_violence
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism

I personally believe that protesting the memorial of soldiers is offensive and it's far more logical and appropriate to protest the politicians who sent them and have the power to bring them home.
That said, I do think it's important to extract what elements of a situation are universal to the faith (not much), what elements are symptomatic the extremities of all faiths, what elements are universal to a particular immigrant culture independent of faith and what conclusion are appropriate to extract from the actions of an extreme minority of a demographic.

Umm.... Painting with a bit of a broad brush are we?

The link to the poem was posted as a reference to educate the signifigance of the poppy as a symbolic memorial to WWI and WWII allied casualties.
No doubt the author did not have any notion that his poem would be deemed historic, nor that the poppy would become an icon.
Certainly his exhortation to continue the battle was intended for himself and his comrades at arms, without thought to future generations as you contend?

The Crusade comment was a joke. So sorry you have no sense of humor.

Didn´t knew the poem...

IMO this is a terrible message and only glorifies the spiral of hate and death.

The author of the poem was John McCrea. The irony was, they found it on his body. He didn't survive long enough to give it to anyone.

We grew up memorizing that poem. For me, it's always been about the utter futility of war: good people getting killed for no good reason.

But, everyone interprets poetry their own way.

It's the internet, jokes aren't necessarily that obvious unless you are looking for them.
Which I certainly was not in this thread.

And the Poppy's are famous because the idea of a battlefield full of bright red flowers is striking, not because of that poem.

And your point about the intent of the poem is a very good one.

It's all good.
I come to the Sneap forum purely for entertainment.
This would not be my venue of choice for serious discussions on solving the world's problems. :Spin: