Porcelain Heart

The Don said:
Man it's kind of disgusting how much ball-sucking is going on over these two songs. Porcelain Heart is shit. It's 8 minutes long and has 4 parts to it. 4 drawn out, slow, boring parts. Riffs are uninteresting, structure is forced, and the transition into the last chorus is laughable. The Lotus Eater is pretty good, but that part at 5:50 just makes me chuckle at how gay it is. I hope Watershed has some heavy moments because I would hate to see Opeth get lost in this "less is more" pattern. On that note, I'll leave before the fannies make a page or two about how dumb I am.

I'm almost agree with this post, except in the gayness of TLE, it's just a pointless key riff, that's all.

at almost 5 minutes, sounds like Svältvinter from Vintersorg. The clean guitar is the same, the mike vocal pattern is almost the same than the lead guitar on the intro of that song. Now Opeth uses half or less than half of the riffs they used before.

Axe fill SUCKS, I don't care about Mike can think or say, it's just shit to my ears. they need Lopez back.

That fucked up drum fill is actually one of the few highlights of the song in my opinion.

It really forces you to wake up, due to it's change and variation. When you get used to it, I think it sounds pure awesome, due to how confusing the music is. However, that's a one-off thing, don't do it again ;)

Jeez guys, sounds like a few of you are still lingering of the days with Under The Weeping Moon.. (NOT saying the song is bad, I very much like it). Imagine if Opeth made all their music in that style, though - where would the diversity of Opeth go? To hell, and stay there. Opeth are constantly evolving -- sure, some people are going to get pissed off all to hell about this, and start flinging sentences about "my dear and fluffy Lord, they've ruined themselves.." and give more of that.
However, I am sure some people don't like Opeth at all (duh), and that is simply because their style doesn't fit them. Perhaps a slight move in their style will add a different audience to the followers, but in doing so, will cheese off an equal group of people. DEAL WITH IT.

However, I wil admit, I do quite like the older albums, but I'll have to wait and see. I will have the new album in a day or two, I just got a mail that it's been dispatched :headbang:

Then I'll see for myself whether I fall into the right group. So far, I'm still here!

Perhaps a slight move in their style will add a different audience to the followers, but in doing so, will cheese off an equal group of people. DEAL WITH IT.
!

No, I think it will just scare away other people. You hate hip hop and like progressive dance metal: they add hip hop to a progressive dance metal song, you get scared, you stop buying their stuff. On the other hand, a guy who loves hip hop and hates progressive dance metal, will get "omgwtfisthis" over the song/album but won't buy it 'cause progressive dance metal is for dorks. Sure, there are a minority of people who are more open mindend and will continue liking the evolution, but, truth is, if they continue to evolve, they will appeal to less fans all round but more in segments. So, we'll have orchid-MAYH lovers and haters of the new stuff, thing we already have, but to a bigger extent.

Gah, whatever, just disregard what I wrote, I need sleep.

Just turned to MTV:s rock chart show. And first song that I heard was Opeths Porcelain Heart at 7th position. Never seen that one on TV before. :kickass: