Porcupine Tree- Fear Of A Blank Planet

I just heard en edit-version of the FOABP on the latest RockHard-CD and I absolutely hate the drums. I can´t listen to the song over headphones with bass drum coming from the right and the snare fromt the left....horrible!!!

That's bizzare. o_O I've listened to the whole thing over headphones a number of times through, and I didn't hear anything odd with the drum mix whatsoever.

Why, oh why, did he ditch the Bad Cat?!

Fear of a Blank Planet sounds pretty cool, I've only been through it twice so I definitely need more time with it.

I like Deadwing a lot too, I seem to be in the minority there. That album reminds me of a ton of stuff that was going on in my life at the time and it's a blast to listen to now.

I just heard en edit-version of the FOABP on the latest RockHard-CD and I absolutely hate the drums. I can´t listen to the song over headphones with bass drum coming from the right and the snare fromt the left....horrible!!!
then there's something wrong with that particular copy or your headphones. The drums are mixed perfectly.

And about the Bad Cat, I thought he only used it live? I could've swore the vast majority of his distorted tones have always been Marshall half stacks...

then there's something wrong with that particular copy or your headphones. The drums are mixed perfectly.

And about the Bad Cat, I thought he only used it live? I could've swore the vast majority of his distorted tones have always been Marshall half stacks...

badcatamps.com has Blackest Eyes as website song. Not saying that it's entirely Bad Cat, but that's a clue I suppose.

Somebody loan me $3300, I'll buy the Hot Cat 100 and see if I can nail the tone. Hehe.

“60 percent of my guitars go straight into the Line 6 POD. For the remaining 40 percent of my guitar recordings (mostly metal stuff) I use a Marshall into a 4x12 cab miced with a Shure SM-58.”

this was from the Deadwing era so i suppose its definitely possible he used the Hot Cat on previous albums

Am I the only one who finds it amusing he uses a big Marshall in the studio and a 1x12 combo live? :D

No, everythings allright with my headphones and the cd. It´s just that the bass drum and snare are not centered. there is this strange "room" feeling they both have and i don´t like that.

Holy shit, you mean they sound like an actual drumkit?? Last time I looked a drumkit doesn't form a right angle cross section with the snare and bass directly in between the hihat and ride.

Well, you never actually listen to a real drumset with headphones, so it's not like when you listen to drums live you hear the snare and bass drum "panned". It depends where you are in the room, and very rarely does one listen from 6 feet above the exact center of the drumkit. So what an actual drumkit sounds like in that respect is pretty subjective.

Besides, a lot of people just like the sound of centered bass drum and snare, it's a valid opinion.

I'm actually quite glad someone (probably Gavin Harrison himself. I hear he engineers all his own drum recordings) took the time to really listen to the sound of the drums and place things correctly in the stereo image. Just dropping the bass and snare dead-centre is a lazy option.

I was listening to some slayer recordings recently and the bass drums wern't dead centre either. But then Slayer recordings (especially with Lombardo) tend to have a very natural drum sound.

Holy shit, you mean they sound like an actual drumkit??

Well, it´s metal, so nearly nothing sounds "natural". Why do we trigger the bass drum and snare and sometimes even the toms?! It´s because the "natural" sound isn´t fat enough (or the drummer isn´t able to play...)

Not that I would say you aren´t allowed to mix a "natural" drumset but it´s just that I don´t like it. If I want a set sounding live than I would do a live album.

But maybe it´s not that unusual in the progressive genre....?!

Well, it´s metal, so nearly nothing sounds "natural". Why do we trigger the bass drum and snare and sometimes even the toms?! It´s because the "natural" sound isn´t fat enough (or the drummer isn´t able to play...)

Not that I would say you aren´t allowed to mix a "natural" drumset but it´s just that I don´t like it. If I want a set sounding live than I would do a live album.