Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

challenge_everything

Feb 9, 2006
great southern wasteland
What do you all think of this album?

Personally, I love PT but think this album blows. It's probably the worst PT I've heard.

It's good that they've tried to make one coherent flowing album, unlike, say, In Absentia where the songs really didn't fit together. But the songs are all pretty much mundane rock. PT have always avoided prog rock cliche - until now. And the whole lyrical concept looking at society's detachment and apathy, it's been done to death, and often much better. The lyrics are embarrassingly obvious.

I really think PT should just avoid trying to pull off the heavy rock sound - the heavy rock songs are inevitably the worst moments of each of their albums (Shallow, Wedding Nails). The good guitar solos are missing (except for an excellent one on Anaethetise) and the vocal harmonies are absent also.

there's already a thread on this a little down the page where most people have already given their opinions, just so ya know

BEST album from PT. And, judging from sales and reviews, many others seem to think so as well. The album is absolutely phenomenal - the track Way out of Here is some of the best music I have heard...period. This is the kind of inspirational stuff I want to be hearing from bands.

Mundane? Hardly, man.

my post from the other thread:

significantly underwhelmed by the new album. it definitely has some good moments, contrasted by moments I can't stand. I own In Absentia and Deadwing but will be definitely passing this one up and will see what they have to offer next time around.

I should also note I'm a casual PT fan. they've never really wow'd me and therefore I don't expect them to. I think they're good, not great. I hardly ever feel a need to listen to them, and therefore I rarely do. so, take that for what it is

It's true that the good solos are missing, but the whole thing is quite groovy and I think it makes up for the guitarwork pretty well.

Am I the only one to like "Sentimental"?

It's true that the good solos are missing, but the whole thing is quite groovy and I think it makes up for the guitarwork pretty well.

Am I the only one to like "Sentimental"?
Sentimental's a great track. The only song I didnt like was Sleep Together but Its growing on me now after hearing it live last week.