Porcupine Tree-FOABP

I like the first 5 tracks but 'Sleep Together' just doesn't do anything for me. Overall, FOABP is very well done and I hope it continues to lead PT to bigger and better things.
Sleep Together really doesnt fit the rest of the album. Wouldnt call it a bad song...just out of place

I'm sort of on the fence with this one. On one hand there are definetly some exceptional tracks, most notably "Sentimental." However, to me, it feels more like a long playing E.P than a full length Porcupine Tree album. Perhaps we've just been spoiled with the last few albums clocking in at upwards of 70 minutes, but this just feels incomplete to me for a reason that I just can't put my finger on. Some of it just feels very rushed.

I also enjoy the lyrical direction of this album, but at the same time, the lyrics to most of the songs are almost exactly the same! I think Herr Wilson could have done a better job of expressing the numbness of our world than saying that he's bored or stoned at the mall 20 times.

I like this album quite a bit, but I think the last Blackfield definetly trumps this.

I'm sort of on the fence with this one. On one hand there are definetly some exceptional tracks, most notably "Sentimental." However, to me, it feels more like a long playing E.P than a full length Porcupine Tree album. Perhaps we've just been spoiled with the last few albums clocking in at upwards of 70 minutes, but this just feels incomplete to me for a reason that I just can't put my finger on. Some of it just feels very rushed.

I also enjoy the lyrical direction of this album, but at the same time, the lyrics to most of the songs are almost exactly the same! I think Herr Wilson could have done a better job of expressing the numbness of our world than saying that he's bored or stoned at the mall 20 times.

I like this album quite a bit, but I think the last Blackfield definetly trumps this.
Dunno bout' all of that, but the two chicago shows coming up are going to be legendary:worship:

Well, have a good time sir! If you see my boyfriends Steve and Wes make sure you tell them I said hello!

l_afa5648a71f36f5dfc283d2bb7cc3e7e.jpg

wes3.jpg

slowdive is zzzzzzzzzz :zzz:

Slowdive make me sleepy too, but in the best way possible, of course.

"Souvlaki" has to be in the Top 3 or so albums ever made.

Dime- Slowdive sounds like a much gloomy and beautiful My Bloody Valentine. It's simultaneously the greatest break-up and in-love music.

"Day" by Katatonia and "Losing Tommorow" by October Tide were our heroes' attempts to emulate this sound, but Slowdive are not quite so all consumingly bleak in their approach.

Most days I can't decide if Slowdive are the most melancholy or the happiest band on the planet.

:)

This PT didn't really strike me. I hate to say it. It just doesn't seem to have been given the correct treatment. I say strip it down and make 10 Death Metal songs.

YEAH JOKER AT BIRTH

As of right now I'm addicted. Not in love with the title track, My Ashes, and Sleep Together, but Anesthetize, Sentimental, and Way Out Of Here are phenominal. Within a week it should be album of the year at this rate ;)
Good 2 c you're comin around...for me, sleep together is the only track Im not diggin' at the moment. One month exactly from today I will be seeing PT at the Park West!:worship: Hopefully this thread will still be alive and Ill tell everyone about it...including setlist(if im not too drunk)

I got my copy yesterday, so far I don't like all tracks equally either, Anesthetize, Sentimental and Way Out Of Here are my favourites too, but the titletrack, My Ashes and 'even' Sleep Together are pretty good too, I'm starting to like the kinda 'twisted' mood of Sleep Together, the keyboard work is great.

Anyway, so far it isn't my favourite PT album, it seems the previous albums were more sophisticated and deeper/darker, FoaBP does seem somewhat more shallow indeed. And also the shortness (for PT standards) of the album is striking. But I read in an interview that apparently SW wanted to keep the album short for some reason.

I got my copy yesterday, so far I don't like all tracks equally either, Anesthetize, Sentimental and Way Out Of Here are my favourites too, but the titletrack, My Ashes and 'even' Sleep Together are pretty good too, I'm starting to like the kinda 'twisted' mood of Sleep Together, the keyboard work is great.

Anyway, so far it isn't my favourite PT album, it seems the previous albums were more sophisticated and deeper/darker, FoaBP does seem somewhat more shallow indeed. And also the shortness (for PT standards) of the album is striking. But I read in an interview that apparently SW wanted to keep the album short for some reason.
Doesnt seem shallow to me in any way shape or form. The diversity is there. With Anesthetize, its heavier(thanx to Mikael Akerfeldt's influences on Wilson). My question is: Which song has Alex Lifeson on it and which has Robert Fripp??