Porcupine Tree

Cliche Kid

Not a goth kid
Jan 23, 2006
Ok...so I have heard a few of you recomend Porcupine Tree and I am going to get one of their albums this week.

The three I can find are:

In Absentia

Deadwing

Metanoia

If any one can give a decent low down on all three and recomendations on which one I should buy it would be appreciated.

My musical tastes are Katatonia, Opeth, Anathema, Neurosis, Akercocke.

Cheers guys.

Cliche.:puke:

yeah, I was told to pick up a Porcupine Tree CD because I love Opeth so much...I bought one....let's just say it doesn't get much play around my house...but I can see why some people might like them.

Opeth and Porcupine Tree have nothing to do with each other musically. Opeth fans usually listen to Porcupine Tree because it's Steven Wilson's - opeth's producer - band. Porcupine Tree is more like alternative/psychadellic rock with some progressive elements. The only resemblance you will find both in Opeth and Porcupine Tree would be the atmospheric elements which are used by Steven Wilson in both bands..

Don't like PT either. Don't ask me why, I just can't seem to really enjoy the music.

Cliche Kid said:
Ok...so I have heard a few of you recomend Porcupine Tree and I am going to get one of their albums this week.

The three I can find are:

In Absentia

Deadwing

Metanoia

If any one can give a decent low down on all three and recomendations on which one I should buy it would be appreciated.

My musical tastes are Katatonia, Opeth, Anathema, Neurosis, Akercocke.

Cheers guys.

Cliche.:puke:

I'd start with In Absentia. Probabaly one of their more accessable albums. It was what i started with and i really enjoyed the album.

In Absentia is one of the very few albums I'd rate 10/10. Check out Trains, Heartattack In A Lay-By and Collapse The Light Into Earth!

demonikon said:
and other than the fact Steven Wilson occasionally sings on a few opeth tracks.

ah yes, I forgot that part. Steven does most of the backvocals and lead clean vocals in the song, Bleak..

Also he came up with the lead guitars in the intro of Drapery Falls..

Get In Absentia and Deadwing right away, both are close to flawless although the two epic tracks on the latter give it the edge. Avoid Metanoia, it's a collection of improvised music from the Signify (another excellent PT album) sessions.

porcupine tree... oh yes a fine band indeed! i recommend checking out the band in general over a specific album.
i still remember it was john from solitude aeturnus who sent me their 'the sky moves sideways' CD back in ´95 and the band was virtually unkown at this time... a start of being a long time fan...
we've been talking about hopefully be gettin on the road with these guys sometime.

You have 3 bad choices. If you're gonna get one, get In Absentia, but really the masterpieces are Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun.

Blakkheim said:
porcupine tree... oh yes a fine band indeed! i recommend checking out the band in general over a specific album.
i still remember it was john from solitude aeturnus who sent me their 'the sky moves sideways' CD back in ´95 and the band was virtually unkown at this time... a start of being a long time fan...
we've been talking about hopefully be gettin on the road with these guys sometime.

that would be an unmissable gig!

Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, Up The Downstairs, Signify, The Sky Moves Sideways, Recordings (!!!!!!)

one of the greatest bands :)