Porcupine Tree

I guess Porcupine Tree is my favourite band after Katatonia! (that makes them nr 2)
I agree with Anders, you should check their music in general.
In the beginning I did not listen to them a lot, but I noticed that they were brilliant whén I did.
And now I am fully convinced,
I listen to them probably every day
edit: If you like to see some live footage, there's some on google video (good stuff)

Blakkheim said:
we've been talking about hopefully be gettin on the road with these guys sometime.

:OMG:

Now THAT would be a kickass show!

Personally, I would start out with In Absentia and Deadwing as others have suggested. After that, get Lightbulb Sun (my favorite after IA) and Stupid Dream.

I've already bought In Absentia and Deadwing... and both kick ass. Porcupine Tree sounds like no other band on the earth, so does Katatonia. Theese two albums include both catchy songs (Shallow, Lazarus, Blackest Eyes...) and some very experimental and psychedelic songs. Songs by Porcupine Tree vary from soft and mellow (Collapse the Light into Earth, Glass Arm Shattering etc) to hard and heavy (The Creator had a mastertape, Shallow ...). And many times there's a mix of them (Arriving somewhere...but not here, Even Less, Gravity Eyelids....). It definetely worth at least checking them out!!! I'll probably buy some more albums as I've become a big fan of this band. Buy either In Absentia or Deadwing for the begining.

Cliche Kid said:
Ok...so I have heard a few of you recomend Porcupine Tree and I am going to get one of their albums this week.

The three I can find are:

In Absentia

Deadwing

Metanoia

If any one can give a decent low down on all three and recomendations on which one I should buy it would be appreciated.

My musical tastes are Katatonia, Opeth, Anathema, Neurosis, Akercocke.

Cheers guys.

Cliche.:puke:

People seem to really love Deadwing. I do as well, but I'd recommend that you start with In Absentia. I think the sound on that disc will get you into them a little more (it was their first major label debut). It's a beautiful cd. Blackest Eyes, Lips of Ashes, Trains - actually, I'm going to stop naming song names because I'll end up naming every song on the album. I loved it, and continue to listen to it regularly. It might take you some time to discover the entire cd, but it's worth it.

I hope you enjoy the album you choose to get first.

I would also recommend starting with In Absentia, it's the easiest to get hold of (Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream and Recordings are out of print, though to be re-released this year) and easiest to get into, especially if you like Opeth. It has the catchiest songs and the melodies are irresistable.

The Opeth-connection is very clearly heard on In Absentia, it's very clear Steve got very influenced by working with Opeth on the Blackwater Park album, just compare the guitarsound on both albums (IA and BWP).

Anyway, since the release of Deadwing (my undisputed album of the year 2005) they've become one of my absolute favourite bands and I've collected all their albums. I'm definitely more into the later, less-psychadellic/more rock-oriented material. Signify is also an album I've still to fully grasp, but everything released after that album is monumental, i.m.o... Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, Recordings (a collection of B-sides/leftovers, yet containing some of their best ever songs) In Absentia and Deadwing each are unbelievably great.

The Blackfield album, as someone else remarked, is also utterly brilliant, up there with the best PT albums. www.blackfield.org (<< check the samples!)

EDIT: a PT/Katatonia tour would be the tour of all tours...

Deadwing was AWFUL. One of the most un-inspired albums I've ever heard. It's amazing that it came after 3 of the best albums ever made.

Im listening to Deadwing atm and i honestly love it.

But as i was the first to recommend anything, coz the people before me were too busy giving PT shit, i would go with In Absentia.

That was the album i started with and its seemed to be the perfect first step.

Agalloch said:
Deadwing was AWFUL. One of the most un-inspired albums I've ever heard. It's amazing that it came after 3 of the best albums ever made.
It's impossible for someone who's closely listened to songs like "Mellotron Scratch" and "Start Of Something Beautiful" to make a statement like that. That person has to be either deaf or deviod of any emotion.

The album needs time, I didn't like it after 3 listens, but once you give it time it'll engulve you.

I started with Absentia too. Deadwing and Absentia has the same harder
style of music. As already said by others to recommend definitely
"Lightbulb Sun", "Stupid Dream" and a bit older one:
"Voyage 34" which's very psychedelic and reminds to Pink Floyd in my opinion .

Cliche Kid said:
Ok...so I have heard a few of you recomend Porcupine Tree and I am going to get one of their albums this week.

The three I can find are:

In Absentia

Deadwing

Metanoia

If any one can give a decent low down on all three and recomendations on which one I should buy it would be appreciated.

My musical tastes are Katatonia, Opeth, Anathema, Neurosis, Akercocke.

Cheers guys.

Cliche.:puke:

My favorite is In Absentia. Their most hard rocking, prog, various album. The production is just fantastic. Vocal harmonies are great all the way through. Favorite songs are : Blackest Eyes, Gravity Eyelids, The Sound of Musak, Wedding Nails.

Metanoia is a jam album from the Signify years. Unequal, but with good moments.

Deadwing - I really enjoyed at first, but after taking a break from listening to it, I find it less enjoyable. Not as creative as In Absentia, musically and vocally. It has it's excellent moments nonetheless and remains an album I would recommend.

Cheers !