Portal- Outre

in_my_time_of_disease

Whipping Post
May 29, 2006
Melbourne
Has anyone heard this Australian Black/Death act? I heard their first album "Seepia" a few years back and quite liked it, listened to it a few times then it never really got a spin. I pretty much forgot about them until recently, just browsing around a forum where people were talking Deathspell Omega (yes my kind of conversation ;)) when a guy plugged Portal- Outre, saying it was similar. I then remembered them and picked up the album a few months ago, and just ended up listening to it tonight. While I won't agree totally about Dso similarities it is however an odd, dark and interesting album that is very bleak yet draws a highly imaginative soundscape. It's a nice blend of black/death/with a lot of dark ambient mixed in. I guess there are little moment of "inspiration" from dso, but nothing major that's for sure. Definitely worth a spin, I can see a lot of you guys really getting into it.http://www.myspace.com/portalxiii there are a few tracks up on the myspace, although I'd recommend "acquiring" the whole thing as you will want the whole experience.

haha, yeah I was thinking afterward I should have put something like black/death in the title so people didn't think it was about the game. Oh and I forgot to mention they are signed to Profound lore, who have a fair few really good bands, like alcest, agalloch, the angelic process and asunder. Seems like they have a good eye for talent.

This didn't float my boat that much.. Yes there were definitely bits i really enjoyed.. But for the whole i thought the production was actually too poor.. And quite a bit of the guitarwork seemed like sub-par DsO.. Wasn't overly keen on some of the drumming either.

Wasn't bad as such.. But yeah, didn't light many fires.. SORI TR3NTLOL.

Fair enough. lol at TR3NT. Oh the guitar work has nothing on dso thats for sure. I just finished it through a second time and it certainly clicked more than the first. I'm gonna stick with it and see how it goes, but atm, I think its good. It really seemed like it needs time to grow. And yeah the game portal is awesome. Oh and about to listen to your plug st3phan, Diagnose: Lebensgefahr - Transformalin.

Thanks for that recommendation, I really like the sound of that..I'll definitely be buying it, that's for sure.

Portal is just amazing. I found out about them at a gig. Never heard of them before, and they walked out onto stage. WHAT THE FUCK. Anyone who has seen them live before will know what I am talking about. Their music is absolutely CHAOS. Closest thing i've ever heard to it is the riff chaos on DSO's latest.. But this is closer to death metal. It's just insane...

But... i've never heard Outre!! Must get!