Porting a guitar cab

Katau

Supreme Master of Nothing
Sep 10, 2007
Chicagoland
Let's say I wanted to port a 2x12 guitar cab...are there any general things that I can expect from the change in sound? The cab in question is a 2x12 with front mounted V30s, just slightly oversized and built with birch ply.

Is the reason we don't see many ported cabs because they sound like shit? Too bassy? Please tell.

There are a lot of variables (size of cab, number of ports, size of ports, location of ports,length of port tubes of you use them etc.). So...gross over simplification here, but generally you'll get more bass and it will be less controlled.

There are a lot of variables (size of cab, number of ports, size of ports, location of ports,length of port tubes of you use them etc.). So...gross over simplification here, but generally you'll get more bass and it will be less controlled.

Thanks egan...I kinda thought that was the case, but wasn't really sure.

What means "porting", sorry, i dont understand the concept

"Porting", in very basic terms, is cutting a hole (or more) into the cabinet and inserting a tube. The length, diameter and placement of the tube will tune the cabinet to a certain frequency. It is generally used to get a more pronounced bass sound for smaller speaker boxes (usually for home audio and the likes). But applying that to a guitar cabinet sounds like it may not be the best application.

I have a genz benz g flex 212 ported cab. It has four ports on the bottom going across. To be honest I have not tried any other cab with my amp(mesa F50) except the 112 combo speaker in it but the genz benz sounds great. It has a huge bass sound to it but it is tight. I'm happy with it. Maybe with a 4X12 it would be too much I don't know but i'm happy with my 212. It say give it a shot. Maybe come up with a way to close up the ports when you want to have the best of both worlds.

When you port a cabinet essentially what your doing is bumping frequency. As others already mentioned, the size of the hole, and the length of the port changes the frequency. There is a lot of physics involved in knowing how the speaker will react in the box. Also, the size of the box makes a huge difference. So the theil and small parameters, port size and length, and box size all have an effect on the sound. A sealed enclosure will generally give you the flattest response. Ports are usually best used on subwoofers to amplify specific frequencies. Think of the speaker as a spring, and the amount of air inside the box as a cushion. The size of the box determines how much air is within the box and gives it back pressure. The smaller the box, the harder the speaker has to push against the air, making it harder to move. Which is why a larger box sounds deeper. Of course the type of wood and thickness of the wood also changes the sound. Generally you want the stiffest walls you can get, (at the expense of throwing out your back when it comes time to transport it).

My advice for guitar is to stick with sealed boxes, they sound better, and have a flatter frequency response, and if the speaker manufacture gives box enclosure specs, go by those, and only vary a few degrees.

In terms of recording and live close miking situations, I wonder what difference the port would make, if any. Seems to me that a ported cab only serves to enhance the monitoring from said cab, not close miked speaker tones.

I've never heard it, but I would assume that it would sound like total crap mic'ed in the port. Ports are usually used to make bass notes louder, like in the 50-80 hz range. Even if you tuned it for midrange, that's all you would get in the port, is whatever frequency you tuned it at, and all the other characteristics would hardly be noticeable.

Haha, I think he meant whether micing the CONE of a speaker in a cab with a port would sound much different than the same speaker in a cab without a port