Possible venue for PP 4.0

metal71

Jul 19, 2002
Las Vegas
www.lasvegasmetal.com
Just wondering if anyone familiar with the Atlanta area knows of other possible venues for next year's show. I'm working on the assumption that the promoter prefers Atlanta, and is looking for a larger place than Earthlink.... Any ideas?

Originally posted by metal71
Just wondering if anyone familiar with the Atlanta area knows of other possible venues for next year's show. I'm working on the assumption that the promoter prefers Atlanta, and is looking for a larger place than Earthlink.... Any ideas?

The last rumor I heard was that Glenn was interested in the Tabernacle. It's a larger venue (but not an arena) that holds a little over 2000, I think. As a venue, it attracts some good sized acts. I've seen Dream Theater there a few times as well as Joe Satriani, Alice Cooper and the Trans Siberian Orchestra. Other acts that have been there include Slayer, Queensryche, and an assortment of nu metal bands. For those of you that attended the Gold Badge party at the Cotton Club for PP2.0, the Tabernacle is the venue above the Cotton Club. I really can't speculate as to what the deciding factors will be in choosing a new venue, but, from what I know about Atlanta area venues, this seems like the "best fit" option. Of course, this is all just rumors and my opinions. I haven't heard anything from Glenn himself, or anyone else involved.

Hope that answers your question.

--Mike

Speaking of Glenn....I havn't seen him around the boards in a long time. My guess would be that he has been sleeping ever since Progpower. The guy has to be worn out. Puts on a hell of a show though...

Originally posted by Mephistopheles
Speaking of Glenn....I havn't seen him around the boards in a long time. My guess would be that he has been sleeping ever since Progpower. The guy has to be worn out. Puts on a hell of a show though...

Glenn is taking (in my opinion, anyways) a well deserved break from everything. :) I'm sure we'll see him pop back up around here sometime close to the new year.

--Mike

Back to the subject, being from Atlanta I don't see any alternative to Tabernacle if Glen wants to move the festival to a larger venue. I see that as a definit even though I don't even know Glen personally. There is no other venue in town.

As a totally off the wall thought: Iron Maiden will do a world tour next year! My fantasy is: One day open air event (HiFi Buys Amphitheater) Between May and October, whenever Iron Maiden will be in US, them headlining, all day maybe 2 stage festival in a 5000+ venue which will be easily filled because of Maiden, would make a hell of a different ProgPoer fest.

Old Monsters of Rock style if any of you remember!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by arnavut
Back to the subject, being from Atlanta I don't see any alternative to Tabernacle if Glen wants to move the festival to a larger venue. I see that as a definit even though I don't even know Glen personally. There is no other venue in town.

As a totally off the wall thought: Iron Maiden will do a world tour next year! My fantasy is: One day open air event (HiFi Buys Amphitheater) Between May and October, whenever Iron Maiden will be in US, them headlining, all day maybe 2 stage festival in a 5000+ venue which will be easily filled because of Maiden, would make a hell of a different ProgPoer fest.

Old Monsters of Rock style if any of you remember!:rolleyes:

Man, that would be extremely cool. hell, I'd be thrilled shitless if Maiden played anywhere near enough for me to go, and if I could get someone to go with me.

Shaye

I agree, I'm 22, so I really have only had a chance to see the REAL Maiden on the Brave New World tour, and my job forced me to miss it...I regret it to this day -slaps forehead- everytime I put on Rock in Rio. Actually, I will say that when Maiden tours, regardless how far I have to go to see 'em, I'm there. Still, the ideal would be to have them as close to Atlanta as possible :D.

-Eric

Originally posted by Wandrail
I agree, I'm 22, so I really have only had a chance to see the REAL Maiden on the Brave New World tour, and my job forced me to miss it...I regret it to this day -slaps forehead- everytime I put on Rock in Rio. Actually, I will say that when Maiden tours, regardless how far I have to go to see 'em, I'm there. Still, the ideal would be to have them as close to Atlanta as possible :D.

-Eric

I recently drove to DC to see Blind Guardian and Symphony X for two shows. I think I'd be willing to go that far to catch a Maiden show. :)

--Mike

Originally posted by Wishmaster
I recently drove to DC to see Blind Guardian and Symphony X for two shows. I think I'd be willing to go that far to catch a Maiden show. :)

--Mike

Man, I was planning on going to that earlier in the year, but since I did PP3, there was no way. One of my best friends lives in DC, so I had a place to crash and everything...would have crushed.

-Eric

Originally posted by Wandrail
Man, I was planning on going to that earlier in the year, but since I did PP3, there was no way. One of my best friends lives in DC, so I had a place to crash and everything...would have crushed.

-Eric

Yeah, a friend of mine lives in the DC area, and told me about the two shows there. I just couldn't pass up the chance to see BG three times in 10 days. Plus, I love the new Symphony X album, so I had to see them as well. I was even tempted to run down to Ft. Lauderdale and see them again, but it was too much of a drive from DC, and during Thanksgiving.

--Mike

Teh Tabernacle would be a fucking AWESOME place to hold it, hell they could put the cd vendors down in the cotton club, that would give people more time to move around and everything...One thing cool about that place, the floor slants down so anyone on the floor has a nice view of the stage.

Originally posted by lady_space
Man, that would be extremely cool. hell, I'd be thrilled shitless if Maiden played anywhere near enough for me to go, and if I could get someone to go with me.

Shaye

When they tour, Robin and I will probably be going, assuming they play anywhere near here (and for Maiden, my definition of "near" is starting to include "same country") maybe we can carpool or something.

Ryan

Thanks for supportive comments for the idea. I don't know if:

- Iron Maiden's tour will be in US around late spring, summer, early fall times for an open aie show.

- Glen would be willing to take the festival in a large venue and make it earlier than its been.

But, if PP can get a chance like that, more people that had not had a chance to listen porg an power of today, will be able to hear some great act. More people will realize the scene is still alive and better than ever. Maybe local Rock station finally play a Prog or Power band because of festivals size which will expose the music to more people.

Don't you think it would be incredible if these great bands play to the thousands of people that never listened to any material like that, and of course would be blown away and think that they discovered something so good right in front of your eyes.:D

Originally posted by Se7enChurches
When they tour, Robin and I will probably be going, assuming they play anywhere near here (and for Maiden, my definition of "near" is starting to include "same country") maybe we can carpool or something.

Ryan

lol, I'm with ya there! I was thinking about going to see them in Texas on the BNW tour, but I didn't have anyone who would go with me, and I was dating a jerk at the time who would have dumped me had I gone alone. Damn, I should have gone! ;)

Anyway, that sounds like a good gameplan to me. I'll be sure to pester you about it once they release a tour schedule. :)

Shaye

lol, I wouldn't know--I never made it to the Cheetah. We wound up at Tattletales instead. There were a coupe of pretty cute guys in some of those bands--who knows? Maybe we could get them to dance on the bar... bwaaaahaaahaahaahaa!!! hoo, boy, I can't even finish that one!

Shaye

Originally posted by lady_space
Anyway, that sounds like a good gameplan to me. I'll be sure to pester you about it once they release a tour schedule. :)

pester away, hopefully they'll come at least a BIT closer than Texas this time. *sigh* well, we get progpower. can't complain, really.

Ryan