post-hardcore/screamo mix

jimwilbourne

I try.
Aug 20, 2010
Boston, MA
Hey Guys

This is my first publicly displayed mix.
I've been working hard to learn all I can and I'd love to hear what you guys think of my progress so far.

this is a new song by my band When Girls Kiss Girls.

I haven't tracked the vocals yet, but this is almost all the instrument tracking (I have one guitar part that I forgot to record).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10367077/Mixes/WGKGnewsong3 #4.wav

PLEASE give me any advice about the mix.
I'll post an updated mix with the vocals in it soon!

I think you need to work on that guitar tone man. It sounds sounds like the tone I get out of my peavey blazer 158 practice amp. Is it possible to reamp those guitar tracks? Have you got any amp sims or impulses?

Also I can hear a pop sound when the guitars come in to do that little lead riff, try fading the audio in to get rid of this.

Have you mastered the track? Cause I can hear some clipping. Especially on the left guitar. Kick drum needs more punch too, its very dead sounding. A punchier kick will help liven the entire mix up.

I feel like the Guitar Tone is what I've been Fighting with the most. I'm trying to find a balance between Clarity and Distortion.
I have Amplitube 3. Some of the guitar tone on that song is from Amplitube 3 (Using the Duel Rec setup with lots of tweeks).
the other is with my Peavey 5150.

I think I may have missed a couple of fades in the whole mix.

The track has been mastered only a little in order to enhance the mix for the posting of it on the forum.
I didn't do any limiting. only some compression & EQ settings that I put together quickly without close listening.
I feel like mastering itself is still something I feel like I'm not great at all. haha

Are to suggesting that the kick should have more attack in the high end of the EQ or power/impact in the low end of the EQ? or both?

I think the kick needs more around the 2 - 5k mark for the clicky sound. If that doesn't work I would suggest a new sample altogether.

So i'm guessing since you are using Amplitube 3 you have DI tracks there? Try the LePou amp sim or the TX30. If you need more help with these just PM me, i'll be happy to give you some settings to try working with.

I struggle with mastering for the sole purpose of uploading as well, I always find it takes away the true representation of the mix because I just try and push it too hard. As long as the clipping isn't there on the original guitar tracks it shouldn't be a problem.